cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to replace batteries in my...

johnfalk
Guest Contributor

Time to replace batteries in my 2007 Sundancer 280. Is anyone using Lithium Ion batteries (LiFeP04)? I am looking for more amp hours and long-term value, but not sure I am ready to go to LI. Also have not figured out if I would have to replace my charger if I went to LI.

6 REPLIES 6

wingless
Rising Contributor
IMO the increased battery capacity ~4X is not worth the safety risk of putting massive Lithium Ion batteries on the boat.

The route I went was to increase the quantity of batteries, with appropriate ABYC safety, to increase the idle ampere-hour capacity.

The Lifeline GPL-31XT battery is the one I selected because it has 25% more capacity than other batteries. This battery is rated at 125Ah, with other AGM batteries rated at 100 Ah or 105Ah.

I have been using these for years and have no reservation recommending this part.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-31xt/

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here are my batteries, now six group 31 AGM, instead of the original five group 27 flooded cell.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4514/37072246074_d2bbab741d_c.jpg

johnfalk
Guest Contributor
Thanks for your info.

PETERW
Guest Contributor
Boat US magazine April, May 2020 discusses pro's and cons of Lithium. Good info

d_mcham
Guest Contributor
I have an '06 280 and have been looking at LFP batteries for a while now. Problem with those in our boat is heat. They will wear down very quickly if kept in the ER where the original batteries are kept. Now moving them to the cabin area, that would be better for them, but then you have to deal with running longer heavy gauge cables, probably heavier gauge than what's there now due to the longer length.

And yes, if you have the same old Progressive Dynamics charger I have (PD2030) then you should get a new one for LFPs. It's fine for wet cells and for AGMs (which are what I ended up with this time...2x gp 27s & 1x gp 31 for the "house") but not for LFPs. Basically it isn't smart enough. LFPs don't need a trickle charge, in fact it's not good for them, and this charger can't not do a trickle charge when the battery is full. It simply wasn't designed for LFPs.

I'd love to put LFPs in my boat, at least for a house bank, but it's too expensive & too much work for me for right now. Maybe next time I replace the batteries I'll take the plunge.

Doug

Islamoradamoon
Guest Contributor
I have an 08 280 bought new. Changed the original wet cells out in 2013-2014 with AGM and have not replaced them to date. Very happy with AGM performance and no complaints on length of life at all....