cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well it happened.... the galley...

Wailea
Guest Contributor

Well it happened.... the galley refrigerator in our 2000 380 has finally kicked the bucket.  I know there have been a few posts in the past but didn't know if there were any new options others have come across for replacement? 

10 REPLIES 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, the Nocold OEM 'fridge sucks lemons through a garden hose.

The Isotherm CR187 'fridge I used for replacement is great, but has since been discontinued by the manufacturer.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47943223772_71f2e1895a_c.jpg

Select a model w/ a Danfoss compressor.

On mine I modified it to include a "hidden" LED to flash the fault codes, if ever required.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47943238838_23186994ae_c.jpg

Wailea
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless I will start my search for what replaced the CR 187

wingless
Rising Contributor
Note that the "experts" say to disassemble a brand new 'fridge, disassemble the old 'fridge and use perimeter spacers so the 'fridge extends into the salon, away from the cabinets.

None of that "expert" advice was followed for my installation.

Note that the 'fridge is installed at an angle to the wall w/ the salon pocket door. That makes the left depth dimension critical, because that back corner hits first.

One terrific thing about the CR 187 is that it permitted installation into a sealed box, w/ both the cooling air and the heat exhaust dumping out the front.

The 380DA has a convoluted 'fridge heat exhaust path, pulling up from under the 'fridge floor, behind the 'fridge, behind the TV above the 'fridge, then exiting through the grill aft of the port window.

Many users have discarded the tube TV / VCR, then crammed stuff into that "huge" volume above the 'fridge, killing that convoluted cooling path, hurting the OEM Nocool 'fridge.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Note that the Danfoss compressor has controller module that will fail after time.

If the rest of the system is functioning properly, then swapping out that module could restore normal operation.

This topic shows the analysis and repair of the Danfoss system in my Isotherm refrigerator.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/wingless-danfoss-bd50f-101n0500-refrigerator-problems-218711.html

wingless
Rising Contributor
Copying the Wailea reply into this topic for continuity:

Do you know of a repair that can be made to the Norcold? I can't seem to find a unit with the mounting flange etc. The replacement for the discontinued Isotherm CR 187 maybe the CR 195 but there is a ton of wasted freezer space in that unit shrinking the refrigerator space substantially it appears.

wingless response:

What is the fault w. the Nocold DE-461? Is it failure to cool / cold?

If so, and if repair is desired, a good starting point is my previously linked topic. That topic has all the measurement / tests that identify the "easy" faults.

Some previously mentioned points, has the above 'fridge tube TV been removed and that volume crammed w/ stuff, eliminating the DE-461 cooling path? Do the existing 'fridge DC fans work? Has a diagnostic LED been added, what faults are identified?

If the compressor / refrigerant circuit are good, then it is very likely that the fault could be resolved by swapping the controller, as in the prior link.

wingless
Rising Contributor
This Nocold DE-0061 is touted as a replacement for the DE-461. There are other options besides Nocold and Isotherm.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/norcold--de-0061-ac-dc-refrigerator-freezer--5388699?recordNum=28

Wailea
Guest Contributor
Hello wingless. I am revisiting my refrigerator issue as time allows. Still looking for a suitable replacement. I went to your link describing your trouble shooting and replacement. Can you better describe your excerpt for me ….. (you) understand the boat construction and partially disassemble the old and the new refrigerator to get it through the salon entrance. In my case I instead removed / replaced the appropriate boat parts so the fully intact refrigerator would fit through the opening without any issues. I also resolved the fit problem that prevented others from fully inserting the replacement refrigerator into the salon cabinet.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Not understanding the question directed to me.

What is your inquiry?

Wailea
Guest Contributor
You had commented that removed and replaced the proper boat parts instead of dismantling the refrigerators. Just curious what you did.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Over a dozen years ago, by memory...

Removed cabin doors and perimeter trim, removed steps, removed cabinet above 'fridge and removed 'fridge cabinet.