cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21spx Brand new 1.5 hrs, Dead in the water, won't idle, vapor lock?

JF21SPX
Guest Contributor
I was proud to upgrade to a SeaRay and chose the 21spx with the 4.3MPI motor.  Our first outing was on a residential lake where we ran at No Wake speeds for 20 minutes, then 20mph for about 5 min, plus more No Wake zone.  We docked for a visit and after 45 minutes the motor would not start.  It sputtered for 3 seconds, would not idle and die.  I tried to advance the trottle in neutral, but same thing.  It started, bogged down when I tried to trottle up and died.  Fearing vapor lock I opened the hatch for an hour.  No big heat build up noticed.  Running out of ideas I popped open the fuel filler cap and found a HUGE vacuum noise as air rushed in.  The boat would still not start and acted the same way.  I though I found the problem, but it did not change anything.  I know they changed the venting systems etc on the newer boats.  I figure if I have a vacuum issue there is a restriction somewhere in the filler neck?  Dealer hasn't been able to look at the boat in the last 10 days so I am doing my own research.  Needless to say dissappointed in my purchase so far.  Trying to contact SeaRay customer service.  I need more than an online form to fill out.  How about a phone number?
3 REPLIES 3

EricN
Guest Contributor
Curious if you got resolution. I bought an SPX 19 and had issues, I left several messages for the factory service rep and I never received a call, an e-mail, absolutely no follow up from Sea Ray.

Lincoln
Guest Contributor
I'm new to Sea Ray; having issues with my Mercury outboard on a '15 SPX 19. I too am disappointed by the lack of resources for educating and research. I came here hoping to find a robust community but it doesn't look like there is much interaction going on?!

Best of luck. And when you do finally get with the Sea Ray dealer please loop back around with an update; I'd be curious to hear how things went.

Thank you.

Lincoln

JF21SPX
Guest Contributor
This turned out to be a design issue and MarineMax knew the solution immediately.  My issue was getting it fixed do to dealer territories. Merc points at SeaRay and vice versa. I emailed and texted SeaRay and eventually a VP called and gave MarineMax the green light and checkbook to fix it.  I was satisfied in the end.
The New EPA requirements and on a pressure valve on the fuel tank to prevent leakage, requires more fuel pressure than the standard fuel pump can put out.  MarineMax installed a fuel boost pump and it fixed all my problems.  The fuel boost pump wasn't cheap so they needed to make sure it was covered under warranty.  SeaRay had to approve the fix and they dealt with Merc.  So what I thought was a vapor lock was actually just starvation of fuel.  I bet this is very common.  Hope this helps.