cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting an iPod:  My boat as...

Den
Guest Contributor

Connecting an iPod:  My boat as a Clarion XMD1 Head Unit; a 6-CD Changer and a Clarion 4204 Amplifier. They are installed in a 2001 Sea Ray 280 Sun Sport. None of these devices have a port to connect an iPod. Anybody know a way to connect into any of these devices with a cord so I that can play music from an iPod?

My amplifier does have two RCA inputs available on Channel 1/2. The head unit handles my (2) cabin speakers and my amp is using Channel 3/4 to handle my (4) cockpit speakers wired in parallel so its set up essentially as a 2 Channel system. Got a separate amp for a subwoofer which is using the pre-amp input on the Clarion. Any ideas? 

Thanks ...Dennis (Buffalo NY)

19 REPLIES 19

lolema1
Guest Contributor
Can you wire it thru the rca jacks. You can probably get an image of the vable assy on the xdm1 of the web.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
There is an Apple adapter available for the XMD1. Do a search online and you will find tons.

Capt_Lance
Guest Contributor
There is a third solution: I bought a new Kenwood and it has both bluetooth & USB port. I just left the CD player (with the CD's in it) .

Capt_Steve
Guest Contributor
I had a similar unit on my 2002 460 Sea Ray. It's amazing how primitive the electronics were just 15 years ago. You'll be happier with a newer radio plus who uses cd's anymore?

Ollie
Guest Contributor
I think you would need a line level adapter (not just a conversion) rca to headphone. It looks like you will need to switch channels on the amp, to 1 & 2. Seems to be more of a pain and still may not work or be of good quality. You could by an FM modulator and run the iPod through that. Otherwise, it may be time to upgrade to a different head unit, as Capt Lance said, convert your & CDs to MP3's.

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
Go to Amazon and do a search on bluetooth adapters. You can get them that both transmitt and receive. I replaced my entire Clarion with a new fusion system which includes Bluetooth so i can control with my phone. Wow, what a difference. I never listen to CD's so that was not a big deal for me to lose that function.

lolema1
Guest Contributor
Can you copy the CD to a thumb drive and plug it in to a newer unit

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
No that won't work

LovesBoating
Guest Contributor
Consider asking the folks at a mariana to do it. I had a similar situation with our 2005 Sea Ray 320. The same Clarion XMD1 Head Unit but a different Clarion 6-CD Changer. We also have 2 remote units. I researched replacing the XMD1 with a newer model (2008 - 2013) that supports an iPOD. I found that it could easily cost $600 - $700 just for the Head Unit plus 2 remote replacements, even if I bought them on eBay, since the old remotes won't work with the newer models. And, either me or someone else would have to do the replacement installs (more $$$). I asked our folks at the mariana for a cost estimate to get me a way to use an iPOD. I did consider that they might tell me that everything would need to be replaced. They came back with a $300 estimate for everything (parts/labor). They did the work using our existing XMD1 and remotes. Now, we simply turn on the unit and use the remotes to select the iPOD. We can do everything with the iPOD that we can do when it's connected to headphones. I have attached a picture so you could see the iPOD connector topside. Good luck.

Den
Guest Contributor
THANKS LovesBoating.....for the info and the picture. I know of the dash connection to accept the iPod and it is readily available......Would love to know what they connected the other end of the iPod dash connector wire to .....??? It would seem that that there should be some way to replace the CD Changer input to the head unit and use the iPod connection....so the iPod would be the input to the head unit instead of the CD Changer.....but I don't have a clue as to how to go about wiring or doing that.....?????

LovesBoating
Guest Contributor
I'm pretty sure they replaced the CD Changer input with one for the iPod. When I was researching this it took some work but I found the input adapter that would be needed for an iPod. Have you tried removing the head unit so you could see all the connections in the back? I tried a number of times to get ours out. I could get it about half way out but something which I couldn't see prevented me from being able to pull it outside the control panel. Since I couldn't see what was not allowing me to pull the unit out or how to get deeper into the control panel without doing some damage, I stopped trying.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
Den, your XMD-1 appears to use a DIN connector for CD changer input. If you’re handy with some simple soldering I am attaching a few links to sites where people have done the mod. Fairly simple if you can access the rear of your unit.

Schematic
http://www.teamclarion.com/Sharedwebdbs/clarionsupport.nsf/74b3961cc7f08a658825719c00129eae/7cd429d016d8a95b88257196004d59a7/$FILE/XMD1.pdf

One reference :
https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/maintenance-technical-discussion/diy-articles/1431-connecting-ipod-mp3-to-clarion-xmd-1

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
Den, actually, after some more GoogleFu, it may be even simpler. Just google (clarion 13 pin din connector for ipod) there will be several choices for less than 10bucks. Would be worth the try?!?! With this option you will loose the cd changer.

UFGator
Guest Contributor
Why don't you buy a Bluetooth connector, connect it to the AUX port and just bluetooth?

Den
Guest Contributor
Thanks UF Gator...there is no AUX on this model. Have a great suggestion from Jet Rooster (above) which will wok perfectly.

JRT
Guest Contributor
I use an FM transmitter that plugs in to a 12v outlet. It transmits on an unused FM frequency to the radio and has an input for a plug from your phone-this one also has a buletooth support. Cost Effective solution! 0https://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-OBSTARO-Bluetooth-Wireless-Smartphones/dp/B075QLG63Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513651288&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+fm+transmitter

satisfied
Guest Contributor
I went through all the work to use an FM modulator... don't waste your time and $$ Update the head unit

Lor-E-Lei
Guest Contributor
Jet rooster had a great suggestion. The adapter he suggested will work for either a connection to your ipod or to a bluetooth dongle like the fusion bt-100. That will then allow BT from all kinds of sources. Besides not having bluetooth that unit is perfectly fine. If you switch it out think of the remotes and cabling that will need to be changed.

nanners
Guest Contributor
Exile also makes a great adapter - connects to rca inputs. Had Fusion BT-100 - Worked Great Until you turn off batteries (which we do when we are not using the boat): You have to repair every time. With the Exile. It maintains the memory and you are good to go every time! Pairs & Connects easily every time!