cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time boat owner. Just purchased...

bvillav
Guest Contributor
First time boat owner. Just purchased the 25ft OB and looking for a vehicle that can safely tow it. The 250’s weight is about 5500 lbs, add another 1000 for a trailer = ~6500. The Audi Q7 is a more of a mid-size SUV but apparently can tow up to 7700 lbs. Not looking to do long hauls, just get it out of the water for hurricanes. Seems like it would work but appreciate any advice!
23 REPLIES 23

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Hi,
The Q7 with the right engine can do the job. I have a Touareg V6 that readily pulls a combined dry boat and trailer weight of 5200 lbs. It's also rated for 7700 lbs. You'll be hard pressed to find a quality and reliable SUV that can do the job besides these two. A Grand Cherokee V8 would do the job nicely as well. The Touareg is the Porsche platform and besides the name plate, performs like a Porsche. Blast to drive when not towing. Caution,
If you're trailer doesn't have brakes its more about stopping than pulling. Good luck.

Drago
Rising Contributor
Look at adding a "Weight Distribution Hitch" to help with/increase the total weight you can pull safely

NHHUN
Guest Contributor
You should also look at the BMW X5 I've been towing with them for years and I believe the capacity has gone uo for 2019.

lyleski
Guest Contributor
The key seems to be that you are only pulling it out of the water for a few miles occasionally. Agree that the referenced vehicles will do the job. One thing to remember the vehicle weight rating only includes the driver. Any passengers or gear have to be added on to that number which can easily be another 1,000 lbs. If you are going long distance or over mountain peaks then I would suggest a higher rating like 8500.

smacar01
Guest Contributor
I have an 2012 Audi Q5 with the 3.2 L V6. I tow a 215 XL with a 5L V6 EFI. I tow my boat on short hauls with out problem.

MikeHotelFoxtro
Guest Contributor
I tow with a 2006 Lexus GX-470. The owner's manual states 6500 pound towing capacity, but it will tow easily over 7000 pounds.
It's got the V-8 4.7 liter engine, plenty of horsepower and torque!.
It's a body on frame design , so the hitch is securely mounted to the frame. A true truck design, not Unibody like some of the smaller to med sized SUV.
I love the quality of the Lexus. Also, relatively inexpensive on the used market. I just paid $ 11,000 for a 13 year old vehicle with only 142,000 miles. (Drives like new)

Alden_Marine
Guest Contributor
I would caution many towing boats with Luxury SUVs... while many are quite adept at towing a car trailer at these weights, hauling a boat is a completely different endeavor. For one, most including the Porsche Cayenne will not control many EOH systems properly. I do know the Audi Q7 will handle an Aerovault electric brake system but not a EOH actuator.

Also understand most of these Lux MFGs increased their payload capacities to take advantage of tax laws in an effort to make purchasing such financially beneficial to those of us who can.

Additionally, it has been my experience as a transport hauler to see many people who do have luxury SUVs, completely unwilling to back them down the ramp into the water to give the boat true freedom of the trailer for launching or loading. It is here where have a short wheelbase vehicle without the proper linking of front to rear wheels in the drivetrain, makes for the most entertaining "Boat Ramp Fails" videos on YouTube!! When the leverage of a boat be unloaded/loaded by power, tips the back of the trailer just enough to lift the rear wheels of the SUV enough to loosen proper traction, the front diff is NOT locked to the rear wheels while in Park or in Reverse. This causes the ENTIRE vehicle to slide down the ramp and with most cases, the brakes have water on them and will not help save the day.

My suggestion is that you look for an alternative vehicle for towing. Enterprise rents 3/4 ton trucks for personal use and towing. The cost of such is less than your deductible.

I also recommend you take a look at a Ram 2500 Laramie or Limited. You will find an Extremely quiet, fully capable truck that I know will get you better MPGs and have all the pulling power you could ever want!

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Great point. Keep in mind this is specific to electric brakes vs. surge brakes.
Another consideration is the turning radius of the vehicle. My friend has a Nissan pick up that has the hauling capability but an aircraft carrier is more nimble.

Bill4351
Guest Contributor
I have a 2013 f150 Lariat 5.0 Crew Cab that is used only to tow my 2008 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck, and in my opinion is the best. Had a 2013 Cadillac EXT with a 6.2 engine that couldn't hold a candle to the F150. Boat weight about 4800 lbs plus tandem trailer.

benjamin_wacker
Guest Contributor
I just towed the same boat down 100 miles of interstate with a heavy 1/2 ton pick-up (Sliverado 1500 Z71, rated at 9,000 lb towing). Honestly, I wish I had something heavier like a 3/4 ton truck, especially if I was pulling the boat further. The Silverado had all it wanted back there and the boat was pushing me all the over the place on the highway. I would recommend using your Audi only for extremely short distances and low speeds

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
I work for a car dealer Q7 will have no problem towing that boat

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
And it’s a good vehicle I worked for Audi we had very few problems with that vehicle

jgumpert27
Guest Contributor
Remember that the manufacturer listed weight is dry- add 6.3lbs/gallon for fuel, 8.3lbs/gallon and oil weight + all the toys and life jackets.

Additionally check the gross + trailer weight as passengers in the car will reduce your towing capacity significantly. The car has plenty of push to get things moving, stopping is where it can get dicey.

If that does work, make sure you get your trailer balanced and set up for your boat.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Regarding towing, I have a Touareg with same towing rating as the Audi. It's solid. For an SUV, that 7700 lbs sounds like a lot, but the Touareg weighs in at north of 6600 lbs and I imagine the same range for the Audi. That's the difference that makes it work compared to other vehicles or lighter pickups that get pushed around. My trailer has surge brakes and fingers crossed, no issues. I tow locally on occasion and once a year trip of 500 highway miles and steep Adirondack NY hills. So for the 90% of the time you're not towing, yo'll have a vehicle that's a blast to drive, and drive it as it's meant to be driven - fast and fun!

Krafty
Guest Contributor
I have a 2015 BMW X5 with M package. I just purchased (and towed twice 60 and 100 miles) and was super-impressed. Towed a 2015 230 SLX with the 350MAG. Towed at 70-80mph entire trip. Surge brakes on trailer are very impressive. Also recovered boat up ridiculous sloped ramp at end of day, front wheels had minor spin but we got er' out...

Frenchy
Guest Contributor
Alright, i have to say it. The National speed limit for towing is 55 MPH regardless of the posted limits. Also, there is NO towing allowed in the left lane. Please tow responsibly so you do not endanger others.

MikeHotelFoxtro
Guest Contributor
That's an incorrect statement! SOME states are 55 mpf for towing, but many are 65mph, and my state of WASHINGTON is Max 60mph when towing, so the correct answer is: IT DEPENDS on where you are! No such thing as a "National Speed Limit" that went away with Jimmy Carter!

Frenchy
Guest Contributor
I stand corrected. However you would have to be an absolute fool to be towing anything, let alone a trailer at 70-80 mph up and down steep grades.

Frenchy
Guest Contributor
Feel free to discuss this further with your insurance agent when you are on the side of the road and stuck. Please use care and common sense when towing anything. Be safe first!

Laguna1
Guest Contributor
Buy a 2500 Duramax!! Issue solved

Macky
Guest Contributor
If you aren’t towing much buy a cheap half ton

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
I towed a WE225 of similar weight with a GMC Envoy. It took two years to blow the transmission. The weight was over the stated capacity and I knew it. Now I have an F250 diesel and dont even know that I have a boat or trailer behind me.

Kevin7
Guest Contributor
I have a Touareg and it handles my 240SD and trailer very well. I chose it vs. a truck as it fits nicely in my garage, and is more maneuverable. I have disc brakes on each trailer axle, so stopping is not a problem.