cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time posting here.  2000...

BobHeine
Guest Contributor

First time posting here.  2000 Sundance 410 with Cat 3126s.  Port engine tack, fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge jump around from zero to normal reading, except tach will jump to impossibly high reading.  Other gauges and everything on starboard side read correctly.  Engines sync with no problem.  Connections an gauges and on battery cables are tight.  Any suggestions on what’s wrong or how to diagnose?

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The symptoms indicate bad / intermittent electrical connections.

My 2000 380DA w/ 454 Mercruiser MAG MPI Horizon engine gauges also had similar random symptoms.

My diagnostics led me to discover that the factory used right angle molded push on connectors for the threaded stud gauge senders on the engines. I snipped off those connectors and replaced them w/ properly sized and properly crimped ring tongue connectors, retained w/ properly sizes washers and nuts.

There has been zero issues since I effected that repair / upgrade.

BobHeine
Guest Contributor
Thank you. I’ll check this out this week.

Face89
Guest Contributor
I too have a 2000 380DA. Over the past 4 years, I’ve had to replace both of my tachs with engine hours as the gauges went completely dead about a year or two apart. Hours stopped too. It wasn’t bad connections for me…as I swapped port & starboard wires and the problem followed the bad gauge. Prior to going dead, I recall they were working erratically. So this could very well be your issue too.

EddieS
Guest Contributor
I have a 2002 Amberjack. Very erratic temperature readings then the oil pressure reading zero. The gauges were bad got moisture in them. The fuel gauge went to zero. I ended up changing all the gauges. Everything works fine now. Got the gauges from Marine Max

wingless
Rising Contributor
My gauges would fog when exposed to rain or washing.

My solutions were to create a custom dash cover, to protect from rain and from washing.

When they would fog I would keep the navigation lights on and cover the dash w/ a towel and the insides would dry in about a day.