cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For a 2005 340 Sundancer with a...

InnerHarborBalt
Guest Contributor

For a 2005 340 Sundancer with a RayMarine 215 VHF radio that no longer works, what is everyone replacing it with that fits the same cutout in the dash?  Thanks !!!  And same plug & play connections if possible. So I can do this swap out myself. If I have to hire someone that is ok also but ideally I get a new one and install myself - thanks!

23 REPLIES 23

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Note this only needs to be posted once.

My experience is that the opening size always must be changed.

Here is a used 215 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raymarine-Ray215-VHF-DCS-Radio-w-Microphone/114310910395?epid=1323678746&hash=item1a9d7611bb:g:M0YAAOSwGeRfEwwx

InnerHarborBalt
Guest Contributor
I had posted last week but did not see any response. I reposted multiple locations a few moments ago and it looks like it was done correctly. If the radio is not going to be replaced with the exact same one, and a new one has to be installed, what unit will cause the smallest amount of cutting the dash to install?

wingless
Rising Contributor
My experience is that never works because at least one dimension has the opening too large, leaving a gap.

Please report is a replacement is located that will work. I like my icon M602.

InnerHarborBalt
Guest Contributor
Do you have any idea what the other 10,000 people that own this boat are doing to solve the problem if nothing fits and the dash can't be cut properly?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Can't speak for the other 10,000 people, but the five options are to buy one the same size, buy a larger radio and increase the cutout dimensions, cover the opening with a plate or glass and gel coat to match the existing dash.

A link to the identical radio was already provided.

Catfive
Guest Contributor
I bought this awesome VHF. It has features I never knew was possible. Found it on ebay

InnerHarborBalt
Guest Contributor
How well did it fit the original opening? What did you have to do to make it look proper?

InnerHarborBalt
Guest Contributor
The eBay radio you provided was helpful but unfortunately that handset cord is disintegrating as well so it won't solve the problem. I am really surprised that nobody else has been bothered by this problem. Cutting the dash seems to be the only solution at this point which is absurd to have to do. I honestly find it hard to believe that everyone with this radio is cutting the dash to install a replacement radio. If you come across any solutions that do not involve cutting the dash please let me know. A replacement Ray215 does not appear to be an option since they don't exist in good condition.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The online chatter on the Raymarine 215 is that the microphone cord disintegrates and is no longer available for a new replacement.

That Uniden UM385 looks nice, but is smaller than the Raymarine 215, creating a top and side gap w/o a cover plate.

The previously suggested iCom radio would work, it is larger in both height and width, so an increased cutout dimension would permit usage of the iCom IC-M605.

https://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/mountedvhf/m605/default.aspx

https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/2ji2raqp5to75zaikekcbam5en93u0sz/file/3273106373

wingless
Rising Contributor
FYI, the exterior jacket on the first two microphone cables on my Icom IC-M602 also disintegrated.

Knocking on wood, the current cable is holding up well, so they appear to have resolved that problem.

Catfive
Guest Contributor
The Uniden was the same size as the one in my boat. The radio came with an attached new microphone. I am unfamiliar with your setup. I used the same hole but had to make myself a new plate to mount it because the old one tilted up and it didn’t fit. Here is the finished product. I used some pexiglass I had laying around. Cut it roughly with a grinder. Then used a dremel to finish the close parts. I hope We are on the same topic here.

InnerHarborBalt
Guest Contributor
This is the approach Wingless is suggesting. I am still shocked that SeaRay hasn't come up with proper solution for owners of the 340 Sundancer with this VHF radio. It is a safety feature of the boat and as this is an expensive boat, the fit and finish shouldn't have to be compromised to retrofit this radio. I would have liked to see better support directly from SeaRay on this problem. Thank you for your suggestion.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Catfive, thanks for the image.

If the OP radio cutout is at that location, then the existing Raymarine 215 VHF opening may be enlarged so that the suggested icom IC-M605 VHF would also be a perfect fit at that location.

FWIW, when I changed from the Raymarine radio that was originally installed on my boat to the icom radio, I was very happy with the improved performance on the reception.

InnerHarborBalt
Guest Contributor
I think this will be the best approach then. I will confirm the cutout size when on the boat next time and then go from there. Thank you for helping with this.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Mine was updated by me by fabricating a Starboard panel to cover the existing openings, for the autopilot and the VHF and to create an elevated / flush / structural surface for the plotter.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4467/37446834952_63d9c1bb52_c.jpg

Catfive
Guest Contributor
Beautiful boat. One day.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
There is a guy who makes custom Searay panels that match exactly
Cmi
Good luck

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
He made one for my 34 dancer sold looked like factory

Alumofcu
Guest Contributor
Just get one with a PA. I’m using my c-phone for my PA and audio is a bit low even when turned all the way up. I need to replace mine as well.

kimo
Guest Contributor
On my 95 Sundancer 370 I changed the old Raymarine 218 radio last year because the hand mike plug in pins got damaged/broken and impossible to plug it into radio anymore. Fitted a new Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/GPS GX2200, was a bit smaller in dimension than original but I made an adaptor bezel from a piece of shiny black Perspex to compensate for reduced dimensions of the new radio in the slot. Req'd some contortions on my part to tighten the unit backing tab plates behind the dash facia but it can be done. John.

KevinC
Guest Contributor
If you are looking for a simple DIY replacement we produce dash panels just for this. The panel is designed to cover the Ray215 opening and is pre-drilled for the original screw positions. We have factory templates cutouts for a couple dozen VHF models. If you are interested in more info feel free to give us a call 516-261-1000 (Cove Marine, Inc). If you would like me to call you please fill out our form https://www.covemarine.com/request and leave me your info along with the best time to call you.

I attached a picture of the panel from a customer install on a 340SDA.

Thanks!

wingless
Rising Contributor
Dictator, look to this topic for information on your inquiry.

Hair
Guest Contributor
Pick a radio and the have Tecnografic cut a cover piece to fit the dash and it will match the pattern of your dashboard.