cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Sea Ray friends. When we...

ZaGaSaRha
Guest Contributor

Hello Sea Ray friends. When we launched this year, we only used the on-board pump for fresh water on the boat. We'd fill the tank, use to 1/4, re-fill, etc. Then a few months ago we connected to the dock hook-up, used that off and on for a few weeks. Then, to test, we went back to the tank with fresh water pump and now the pump runs continuously. I've looked everywhere I can see a hot or cold water line, all are dry, no drips or leaks I can see. All valves are off from what I can tell. 

Did using the shore connection for water damage a sensor? Is there something on the pump I need to adjust?

Any thoughts appreciated. Don't want to buy a new pump if it's not necessary.

Thanks

ZaGaSaRha

10 REPLIES 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
Does the fresh water system provide normal pressure, normal operation, when the system is used while disconnected from the city fresh water supply, with the only anomaly being that the pump operates continuously?

The pump has a low pressure / sufficient pressure switch monitoring the water, to turn the pump on / off. It cannot be adjusted.

A guess is that the city water pressure might have been excessive, damaging the pump switch.

ZaGaSaRha
Guest Contributor
Wingless, thanks for your reply. I think that may be the problem. I'm going to go take a look after work today to see if the switch is even working. To replace the switch is $60 and a new pump about $120, so I may get a swtich and a spare pump.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My original pump is still working fine after 19 years, so a spare pump may have limited utility.

It might be possible to fiddle w/ the switch to restore normal operation, such as if it is currently stuck.

Mine was never connected to city water w/ the existing city water transom connection, instead only drawing from the on-board 70 gallon tank, refilling as-required.

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
The newer replacement pumps are going to have the pressure switch built into the pump. I just put one in my 460CC last winter. Let West Marine keep the spare for you as they almost always have one on their shelf. They newer pumps also don't need the accumulator tanks like the old ones did.

CCH
Guest Contributor
Just as an aside. When you go to dock water turn off the fresh water pump.

SMT
Guest Contributor
On my boat I have to shut off the on board water pumps when I connect to city water. I was told by the former owner that if the dock water pressure was too high it would damage the system. I would look at air in the system then head to the switch. I had to replace one pump in my boat due to ware and my boat was mfg in 1997.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
Sounds like air cracked open a faucet on the hot water side that’s were the air gets trapped in the hot water heater

Alumofcu
Guest Contributor
I concur with Big Mike. You may have to remove the hose at the pump to get it all out if it's really locked up. That would happen on my old boat if I let the water run out.

Peteatthebeach
Guest Contributor
Check for algae at the strainer or any blockage at the fresh water pump.

ZaGaSaRha
Guest Contributor
I adjusted the pressure screw and all its good,