cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been planning to install an...

Genny
Guest Contributor

I've been planning to install an "in hull" transducer on my 2001 310 Sundancer. I was told that it won't work because Sea Rays have cored hulls.

Any thoughts? Is the bottom section of the hull cored, or solid fiberglass?

R.G.

20 REPLIES 20

Bandnew
Guest Contributor
I’m actually getting one installed on my 2016 310 next week. Boat yard said they do it all the time on Sea Rays.

PETERW
Guest Contributor
Some have cored hulls and some are solid below the waterline
You can call Sea Ray and they can tell you what you have if you give them the VIN. It should not be a problem if the install is done correctly on a cored hull.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The hull on my 2000 380DA is cored, about 3" thick, near the keel in the engine room in the center section where the through hulls and the transducers are located.

Genny
Guest Contributor
Thanks....i wonder why most manufacturers (Garmin, Lowrance, Raymarine) .... All say no good on a cored hull. I guess there's nothing to lose by trying it. I figure it's always better to circumvent "holes" in the hull when possible.

HdG3xB
Guest Contributor
I'm an airmar certified installer. The issue with cored hulls is air. The echo from the transducer will travel at a different speed through air than water and through everything off, if you get a usable return on the first place. If you absolutely must use an in hull transducer, put it in a bag of water with the boat in the water. Then move it around to different locations to find a suitable one, using the water in the bag as an air free sealing surface.

Personally, I wont use in hull transducers on my boats. Even with a solid hull, they don't have the same performance as a through hull. Also since through hull transducers when installed right are damn near bullet proof, I see no reason to not use one.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
I installed a secondary depth finder, a Airmar P79 by moving it forward in the bilge where the hull is not cored. Works perfectly. I also have a thru hull installed in the cored portion of the bilge. Both work perfectly and do not interfere with one another. There's about 8 feet between them.

Dendog
Guest Contributor
Through hull is the best way I had mine professionally installed I wasn’t going to attempt it still to this day I have no clue how he fished that transducer wire to the dash

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
I was told by the guy that own my marinia that they make more fiberglass every day. Holes can be repaired if you don't want them there anymore and the 3M 4200/5200 is downright amazing material that will stop water in it's tracks. I used to get nervous about drilling holes below the waterline, have since learned that done properly there is nothing wrong with doing so.

Genny
Guest Contributor
Wow.......im more confused now. Seems to be conflicted opinions out there. Keep 'em coming. I'm not convinced, either way YET.

Thanks, RG

Chuck_O
Guest Contributor
I upgraded all electronics last year. Put in new thru hull transducer connected to Simrad system. I kept original and have it connected to Vesselview providing a back up. Yard did install of thru hull. Not a big job, and they do it all the time.

Panama_Red
Guest Contributor
Genny, I installed one last year on my 330 Sundancer with no issues! the 3m 4200 works great for that install. Good luck!

wingless
Rising Contributor
When I added an additional through hull / seacock years ago on the cored section of my hull, I followed correct procedures and manually removed the exposed coring from the new hole, filled that void w/ epoxy thickened by filler, then re-drilled the hole. I also painted the barrier coat up into that hole.

Genny
Guest Contributor
What do you think about the "in hull"

Mysearay
Guest Contributor
I've been looking for the same answer about Cored Hulls on my 1988 270 Amberjack. bought the "In Hull" Transducer, but haven't put it in until I know it will work. AuxJack

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
If you have the "in hull" transducer already, you can test the functionality of it by putting the transducer in a bag full of water, wetting the outside of the bag to reduce/eliminate the air gap between the bag and fiberglass and go for a ride to see how it performs. This should give you an idea of how well it works, and if you want to go forward with that transducer.

waterboy
Guest Contributor
Call Sea Ray. I called and was given the location & phone # for where my boat was made. I called with hull # and they looked up the spec sheet on my hull and was told it was solid fiberglass.

Genny
Guest Contributor
How would I stabilize the transducer underway?

Mysearay
Guest Contributor
You could use Cornhole bags around and on top of the bag with the in-hull transducer. I plan on doing that in May. I'm in Lorain, Ohio in winter storage now.

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Agree with the cornhole bag option, really anything that holds it in place. Unless you are trying to test it in 3-5' seas, you would be surprised at how little it takes to hold that system in place.

Ricky
Guest Contributor
I have a 1992 370 sedan bridge. I have a through hole transducer that works perfectly. You should be just fine. Still, I would check, with your local