cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercruiser Engines

Here___Now_II
Guest Contributor

Bought 2 new Mercruiser engines closed cooled 350 MPI for my 2005 sea ray 320. starbourd engine has failed twice. Has anyone on this group had any bad experiences with the mercruiser engine company. Any advice on what to do. I had to pay 2x for boat being pulled out to switch the engines out. Paid 15k each for complte drop ins.

2 REPLIES 2

gregk
Guest Contributor

When you say failed, what happened to the engine? Did it overheat, engine seize, water intrusion? Since it failed on your startboard engine twice, something appears to be wrong on that side. Did you have a closed cooled engine previously? If it overheated, is your engine getting water from the outdrive or a thru-hull? The bravo three drives are know to have problems with water restriction getting to the engine. Did they re-use you existing exhaust manifold/risers/elbows?

I would also think it should have some sort of a warranty from the manufacture/dealer, depending on how long it took to fail.

wingless
Rising Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

The gregk info is correct.

The engines should last the life of the boat if properly maintained.

My 100% speculation is water intrusion from corroded exhaust.

The "low" replacement cost indicates to me that new or rebuilt short blocks were installed, reusing all the electronics, intake and exhaust manifolds. At that time the mechanic 100% should have discarded bad manifolds instead of reusing worn out parts.

Also agree on the time factor. Was this an immediate failure, or did it happen years later?