cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 4.3mercruiser 19 spx either...

Dadsboat
Guest Contributor

My 4.3mercruiser 19 spx either froze and the freeze plugs came out or my block cracked my dealer hasn't had time to diagnose because they are too busy. They've had the boat since may 8. Any advice? My dealer is not a certified mercury mechanic, Can I have a non Sea Ray dealer work on my merc?

6 REPLIES 6

CCbill
Guest Contributor
If still under warranty be careful who works on it. If no concerns with warranty most marinas have a qualified Mercury mechanic

Bridog
Guest Contributor
I agree with CCbill. Call Mercury Marine with you serial number and explained the situation. Have the work done by an authorized Mercury repair shop to avoid problems with warranty issues down the road. (even if it may not be covered) And find a new dealer. 2 months is too long to keep you waiting in what I'm assuming is a short boating season for you. Good luck.

Dadsboat
Guest Contributor
Thanks. I called mercury marine and we have a Premium Mercury mechanic in town. If it is a cracked block they recommend a long block instead of a new engine which is what my Sea Ray dealer is indicating. Then again, they haven’t gotten into it.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Dadsboat
Guest Contributor
And my Sea Ray is great! Also, this problem is all my fault.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

RML_L
Guest Contributor
On the Mercruiser 3.0, many motors/blocks are replaced, in my opinion, unnecessarily. They almost never crack to the inside of the block when frozen, if they crack at all. Many other times they simply pop the freeze plugs, sometimes giving the appearance of a cracked block. The solution in this first case, would be to use JB Weld for cracks, carefully applying a nice seam above the crack, and letting gravity carry it to the appropriate place, then doing it a second and, perhaps, a third time. Outside jacket operating temperatures never exceed JB Weld's limitations. Fixed. The solution in the second case, obviously, is to replace the freeze plugs. Google them, purchase, get a perfectly sized socket and extension, and gently pound the new ones into place.
All of that said, I have heard that the 4.3s can crack to the inside and/or outside. Check the crankcase oil for milkiness, and indication of water, in which case you are schtupped. If not, proceed as with a 3.0 . . .

Dadsboat
Guest Contributor
My Sea Ray dealer found the freeze plugs on my 4.3 were popped. $1800 to replace them, reasonable>