cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On a 2004 Searay SD280 - Clairon...

LadyMedjool
Guest Contributor

On a 2004 Searay SD280 - Clairon AM/FM radio system, how do I get my cockpit speakers to work. The cabin speakers work but not the ones in the cockpit?

can anyone help?

10 REPLIES 10

Alumofcu
Guest Contributor
Could be the fade selection. This is for the front and back seat on cars and works the same in the boat.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately none of the 280 Owner's Manual links are working on the forum.

On my 2000 380DA it was built w/ a single external amplifier and the stereo fade controls did the front / rear fade.

Later model years had a set of on / off switches when entering the salon to enable / disable the front external amplifier and rear external amplifier.

My sound system update included my adding those switches. Maybe they also exist on your boat.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4743/25399626337_80163f25f1_c.jpg

Vic
Guest Contributor
The cockpit speakers on my 2004 280 DA have their own amplifier that is controlled by a switch on the main breaker panel. Image attached.

Lary
Guest Contributor
I agree with Vic but there is also a button on the helm by steering wheel

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
Your amplifier most likely has separate zones for cockpit and cabin. I would start there to make sure the cockpit speakers are getting a signal. Could be that side of your amplifier is shot. Always a good idea to start at the source and work you way up through the system. If you don’t know how to check the amplifier with an ohm meter, you can pull a cabin speaker and connect it directly to the amplifier. You can probably google your amplifier to get all the specs for your model.

Tscannie
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue with my 225 Weekender. My woofer was blown and needed replacement. Also the front cabin speakers were wired to the radio head unit while the cockpit speakers were wired to my amp. After checking all connections, speakers, wires with a digital volt meter I found the crazy cause. The wires going to the amp were not plugged into the back of the radio. Don't have any idea how it happened. Had to remove the shelf the radio was mounted in and it was obvious someone had been there before as screws were missing from the shelf bracket. Boats have ghosts, I'm convinced!

LadyMedjool
Guest Contributor
Good morning thanks much for all your helpful comments. I was advised that the master settings are interrupted when the batteries are disconnected at the end of the boating season. They must be reset every time the batteries are reconnected?
Does anyone know how to reset the radio so cockpit speakers will function?
Capt Mike
Lady Medjool

Tscannie
Guest Contributor
When I had my issue I checked for that and an in line fuse in the bilge area. Fuses were fine, could not find amp settings on the radio only stuff like time, date, sound settings. There is a green light on Clarion amp I have which lights when powered on. My cockpit speakers were hooked to the front speaker connections on my amp while the woofer had one wire on the front connection and one on the back. I googled the amp on line and found a variety of speaker connection possibilities in the owners manual which was on line. Apparently the number of speakers, woofers, etc. have different connection options depending on the level radio/stereo that came on your boat.

Admiral_Purrl
Guest Contributor
We had a 2004 280 and Clarion Radio. Every spring when we dewinterized the same thing happened. I had to reset the stereo. Do you have the owner's manual? Or model number to find one online? Unfortunately I do not remember what I did but I believe the owner's manual has instructions. Once I found it I marked the page so I could find it easily. If you tell me the model number I might be able to look up online and find the page with the information?

LadyMedjool
Guest Contributor
I do have the manual and will check it out
Thanks muchThanks much,

Mike Pflueger
High Point Marketing of NJ, Inc.
Paramus, NJ
201.447.9008 (o)
201.664.4685 (f)
[email protected]

Commodity Distribution Services