cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdrive Painting - What To Use Looking...

Den
Guest Contributor

Outdrive Painting - What To Use

Looking for input based on experience as to the best products and procedures to paint my mercruiser outdrive while on the boat. It's not in bad sha[pe but does have a few spots where the bare metal is showing. I don't have a paint sprayer so I'll need to use a spray can or brush. Here are my questions:

1. Sanding - what is the appropriate (finest) grit that should be used?

2. Fillers - is JB Kwik Filler OK for taking care of pitting?

3. Cleaners - what should be used after sanding to clean the surface?

4. Primers - what is the best self etching brand of primer?

5. Finish Coat - any suggestions ???

Have heard Rustoleum High Performance paint or Valspar Tactor & Implement Paint with the addition of an enamel hardener might be possibilities? Any recommendations based on personal experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

6 REPLIES 6

54Rich
Guest Contributor
I used Emron with an epoxy primer and all the proper pre-paint prep chemicals plus tons of time. Looked great before launch and like crap at the end of the season. After that, I'd say just use Mercrusier spray paint and as little time as possible. Good luck

Ollie
Guest Contributor
I believe Mercruiser / Seirra has a outdrive primer and the matching black designed
for our drives. Mine (lowerunit)isn't that bad either so I have not done anything either because I have been told, once you start sanding and re painting, you'll be doing that spot after every season.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
You must use the proper primer or , at best, you'll waste your time or, at worst, cause accelerated corrosion of the housing.

Wayne_Kath_415A
Guest Contributor
The OEM finish does not last long (2 - 4 years) fresh water, before blistering begins to show. I have refinished with Mercury spray paint and also, a good quality automotive lacquer and could not see any difference in durability. But an outdrive refinished every 2-4 years looks near new most of the time and keeps most of the corrosion to a minimum.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Interesting that you say the paint blisters. Have you checked for stray voltage? Also galvanic corrision could be a prime culprit.....suggest using a marine grease barrier on all access points on the stern drive......

wingless
Rising Contributor
When I am protecting marine metal, I first polish to a high gloss, then apply Pettit 6455 metal primer, followed by Pettit Protect.

The top coat is then selected to be appropriate for the application.

All are applied according to the manufacturer's instructions.

These parts have remained w/ a glossy plastic appearance for years.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=86

http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=79