cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning on making a trip down...

RML_L
Guest Contributor

Planning on making a trip down to Lake Powell sometime this coming spring.  The lakes are all iced up here around Grand Lake, Colorado, and winter has been too long without a boating fix!  Planning on going from Halls Crossing down the length to Page, then back.  Is March too early?  Or do I need to wait until April?  We plan on bringing our tent and sleeping bags for camping of the weather is nice or if wind and rain force us to set up in a side canyon during the trip.  What are good and reasonably-priced places to stay otherwise?  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

SueLynn
Guest Contributor
March is way to early for Lake Powell and there are no hotel/motels between Halls Crossing and Page.

Too_Much_Fun
Guest Contributor
SueLynn is right about the time of year. Better to go May or later. Fall is a great time, I hear. June/July really HOT.

Several good hotels in Page. Defiance House in Bullfrog across from Halls Crossing is a pretty nice place with a good restaurant. In between - nothing.

RML_L
Guest Contributor
Thank you SueLynn and TooMuchFun for sharing. We definitely will not be doing this in March. I looked at some online weather charts showing average/maximum/minimum temperatures, wind speed, and whatnot.

RML_L
Guest Contributor
It looks a little iffy for April 9 and prior, but April 10 onward looks like a go. Daytime temperatures 68-74 degrees. If the wind cooperates, we can certainly deal with that, as those are the daily summer highs here in Grand Lake, where we live and boat, and with proper clothing we find it quite comfortable. We shall watch Weather Underground for a four-day window of no precipitation, good temperatures, and low wind, then make a dash for Halls Crossing / Bullfrog. We will leave early one morning and scoot all the way down to Page, Arizona. I did this trip nearly thirty-five years ago when I was twenty or something around that age, so I am familiar with the time and distance. Looking forward to opening up the D'Louise and letting her run on open water after a too-long Colorado winter . . .