cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Maker question?

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor

Because of extended stays in the Bahamas and cost / availability of fresh water I'm considering installing a water maker and have narrowed it done to a SeaWater Pro System modular design. Does anyone have any experience with this system? Or, any system pros and cons? I have limited space, hence  the reason for a modular design. Has anyone installed a system in the engine/ bilge area? Thanks for any comments and opinions.

Bow Tie

5 REPLIES 5

cinphil
Guest Contributor
Water makers are high maintenance unless they are used constantly. Must be pickled between uses. Be sure you have access to all filters. The high pressure pump can be noisy. Also the genset must be on or you will need shore power to make water. Most of my friends don't use theirs and the expense would buy a lot of water!

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
I agree on all points, however, some water in the Bahamas is not suitable for drinking IMO. I'd use the RO water to Shower, clean, etc, etc. I'd bring bottled water for cooking and drinking. I'm trying to figure If the $3500 spent on a RO system will be justified by cost and convenience. Thanks for the input.
Bow Tie

Pizan
Guest Contributor
I installed a Katydyn RO on my last boat. Worked great..... produced 10 gallons an hour on DC power. Didn’t draw many amps and my Solar panels kept the batteries topped-off.

Slow_Ride
Guest Contributor
I bought a portable RO water maker from Rain Man. It comes with accessories for permanent installation, but I only use it as a portable water maker - I even use it to make clean water from the fresh water on the dock (340 ppm vs. 2 ppm). At 38 GPH, I don't have to run it long. It's even better if you have a "buddy boat" travelling with you because it can be shared.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Good info! Thanks.