cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a 34' searay Sundance and...

brad
Guest Contributor

We have a 34' searay Sundance and a 9' carib with a 9.9 yamaha.  Hurley davit h2o won't get dingy out of the water with engine on it even with big muscle men.   Anyone have a davit that will work?

16 REPLIES 16

wingless
Rising Contributor
The problem is not strength but instead leverage, or lack thereof.

When I changed my dinghy the prior single handed solution (small diameter block and tackle) was not applicable to the new boat.

My new solution for my current dinghy added a fixed roller to the side of the swim platform and guide rails on the top surface pointing at the davits.

This again permits single handed launching / retrieval.

brad
Guest Contributor
Any chance you could send a picture of your setup.

d9ever
Guest Contributor
I have a 2000 340. I put a Weaver Davit system on the boat but instead of the hydraulic set up I use the removable winch set up attached to radar arch

wingless
Rising Contributor
My prior system was also the Weaver snap davit. I used a 1/4" block and tackle temporarily clipped to a hand rail to permit single handed removal.

My current setup uses 2" Schedule 40 PVC plumbing to guide the keel from the starboard, with a small bow anchor roller attached to the side of the swim platform to permit rolling and gliding, also for single handed launch / retrieval.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4550/27060914709_fffdedb819_c.jpg

Second_Chance1
Guest Contributor
I have the same dinghy/motor set up on my 410DA. After several different attempts I ended up with the Nautley DingyRamp HD roll on extended. Pull the bow up as high as you can get it and tie it off and then I use a harbor freight $25 winch attached to the D ring inside the dinghy by the motor and winch it up. No strain no pain…

Capt__Pete
Guest Contributor
Check out the SeaWise system. It’s not inexpensive but it gets the job done.

brad
Guest Contributor
Where/how do you secure the winch?

brad
Guest Contributor
Do you have a picture of your winch set up attached to the radar arch?

Capt__Pete
Guest Contributor
https://seawisemarine.com/

d9ever
Guest Contributor
Will send pic of radar arch attachment for receiver where you slide in winch when using. Am enclosing pic of winch adapter which bolts to inside of arch on starboard side above the speaker

brad
Guest Contributor
Thanks

Jeffs_420
Guest Contributor
I have the same davit with a 10.5 dingy that has a 20HP Merc on it. It takes a bit of pushing, but the winch pulls it right up. I have to extend the winch out all the way to get it far enough up on the boat.

d9ever
Guest Contributor
Here is a picture of the placement of the winch pocket on the radar arch

brad
Guest Contributor
Decided to junk the Hurley Davits as they rust and the plastic cracked. What a waste of $2,000.00. Would try to sell but don’t want to do that to another boater. Took 3 big guys at the marina today to life the dingy out with Hurley H20. The chocks they sold us for their davit suck also. Tried to get them to give us a discount on their new system that has a small chance of working and they said NO. Probably a bad idea to buy their upgrade as it’s made out of the same junk as the H2O. Probably go with Seawise or Prodavit unless someone has a better suggestion?

Andiamo_III
Guest Contributor
I have a soft bottom dingy, do you think that would still not work for me ?

d9ever
Guest Contributor
The Weaver Davit system works on my 11ft soft bottom dinghy with the motor attached. My dinghy has a drop in aluminum floor