cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good day, We just bought a 1989...

Teampenner
Guest Contributor

Good day, We just bought a 1989 300 Sea Ray Sundancer. The shower drains into a separate bilge (under the aft cabin) with a float switch and pump. There is a switch in the head for the shower pump, assuming this is an override. For some reason the one wire was un hooked to the pump when we got it. When connected the pump ran continuously. Then the wires that went into the float switch smoked themselves off. I have a new float valve but I am wondering if we should be checking anything else before connecting. Any insight will be helpful..

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
A sump box is very common on Sea Ray boats.

Like everything, it must be properly maintained.

As would be expected the maintenance on this system is cleaning.

Mine has a cylindrical perforated basket filter to stop crud from reaching the switch and pump.

All that stuff is removed, cleaned and reassembled.

Yours also needs testing and repair. The pump should run and pump water when 12VDC is applied. The switch should be low resistance when lifted to simulate high water. Mine has a check valve that should pass water out and prevent return.

The overheated wiring is a concern. My guess is the pump impeller is stalled, causing the pump to pull maximum current. My guess is the circuit is not properly fused. The fuse, or circuit breaker, should have popped before the wiring melted.

On my 2000 380DA the sump box is used for the AC condensation drain for both units, the head floor drain and the shower drain.

On my boat the check valve started leaking water back into the box and was replaced with a better part.

Other than periodic cleaning, this has been a fine part.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Also, an extra switch is not required, the pump float switch is all that is required.

Teampenner
Guest Contributor
As mentioned, we just got the boat, it is a learning curve. Where is the fuse or breaker located for the pump? Maybe replacing the pump for the small cost is a good idea.. Didn't see a check valve but will look into obtaining one.. Thanks again

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Unfortunately it is difficult to say where they hid the fuse, assuming there even is one. It should be located in the wiring close to the pump I would think, otherwise it will be in the breaker panel. I am fairly certain that mine is hard wired to the battery, but the fuse is located in the wires right outside my sump box.

Teampenner
Guest Contributor
Thanks