cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Everyone, I recently purchased...

joecaruso
Guest Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1989 340 Sedan Bridge.  The boat is in great condition and runs great.  There are so many components on this boat and I'm learning more and more each day.  Does anyone know how difficult it would be to replace the indicator lights (many of them don't work) on the main electric panel?  I'm attaching a picture of the panel for your reference.

Thanks,

Joe

10 REPLIES 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck w/ your new boat.

Those 120VAC amber indicator lamps are available from FP Marine.

https://www.fpmarine.com/Panel-indicator-light-lamp-p/light%20round%20amber%20125v%20flush.htm

A few other suppliers were searched and those appear to be the best price and they appear to match the existing parts.

joecaruso
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder how difficult of a job it is to replace them?

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

Should be "easy".

The parts are usually retained w/ a slightly curved push on plate fastener, likely released by manually distorting to remove the arc while pulling.

The wiring and connections should be duplicated to original as much as possible. Remember those are line voltage AC, so remove power first.

They are probably connected w/ crimp connectors. Proper technique is important, including nick-free stripping at correct length, quality / correct connectors and high quality crimp tools, properly used.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Are some of the panel meters broken? The DC voltage shows as zero w/ a 30A load. The secondary AC current is pegged above 50A.

While these aren't precision instruments, they are useful to have operating properly.

joecaruso
Guest Contributor
The panel meters all appear to work fine. Some of the indicator lights don't work which makes it difficult to know what components work and what doesn't work. This all started when I tried to understand what waste system is on the boat. Based on the panel switches and the various internet articles I read, I think the boat originally had a SAN X waste system. I don't believe the SAN X system is installed anymore. There is now a vacuflush head and a holding tank. I don't even see a seacock that the original SAN X system used. I'm thinking that a previous owner replaced the system with a new holding tank and a new pumpout that appears to pump out the side in the rear starboard side of the boat. I attached a picture of the holding tank and the two pumps - I think the pump closest to the tank is the vacuum pump and I'm guessing that the other one can be used to pump out thru the starboard side drain (this of course would have to be done offshore if it does in fact work).

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the image.

One nice feature is the charcoal odor filter that can be opened to permit replacement of the contents. The hose should only slope uphill and the right side has a slight droop.

That Vacuflush system doesn't appear to have the best layout.

On my system the waste line dumps into the vacuum generator tank, the diaphragm pump is bolted to the top and the pump dumps into the holding tank. This setup has no waste filled lines.

That system appears to have waste filled lines all over. Not a problem, unless something fails, then a stinky mess might be part of the solution.

It is very surprising to me that it sounds like the overboard pump out is above the waterline. Mine is a below waterline seacock.

Yes, it is good to have the entire sanitation system working properly.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is one similar to mine, except mine dumps right into the holding tank.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50059220987_1d84de4af1_b.jpg

joecaruso
Guest Contributor
Yea, your design seems much more straight forward. I'm assuming that this was all a retrofit from the original system and therefore it was done in this sub-optimum manner. The hose in this picture comes out of the left side of the pump on the front of the last picture and goes out the back starboard side of the boat. I don't know how to activate this pump to test it. Perhaps it was retrofitted into the "waste system control" area on the AC panel in the first picture I attached.

wingless
Rising Contributor
It may be required to trace / debug the wiring.

One thing that jumps out is the indicator lamps. On my system those become active when the head system has DC power, illuminating the appropriate level lamps and the POWER lamp, but your image shows the breaker ON and no lamps illuminated, including no power.

There is a secondary operation to manually select the discharge. Your panel has two different secondary operations (TREAT & DISCH, plus TREAT & HOLD), probably appropriate for the retired system.

The sanitation system MUST have a lockout to ensure that the system cannot be discharged w/o removing the lockout. It is common to use a padlock on the seacock, or a nylon wire tie, to secure the handle in the shut position. My practice is to close the seacock, then remove and stow the handle.

That system appears to have no possibility to comply with that requirement. It is possible / likely that an inspection would flag / fail for that condition.

An "easy" solution would be to retire usage of that above waterline discharge through hull and to instead properly install one below the waterline, so it may be disabled except when appropriate. Mine has a switch to prevent discharge, except when the seacock is open. Mine has a seacock one size larger, using a reducing fitting at the threads, to make a larger opening for the waste.

joecaruso
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the help - I'll keep you posted on what I find.......Joe