cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi,  This is my first post as I...

cw_ky
Guest Contributor

Hi,  This is my first post as I recently purchased a new 2021 210 SPX (end of May).   So far I have been fairly disappointed with the boat as it looks great, but the nuts and bolts of the boat seem to be issue after issue.   This is definitely not what I was expecting from a new boat with the Sea Ray name.

1.  The speedometer and depth finder weren't working when first doing the sea trials.  The dealer was able to go to get the depth finder working as they stated it was a defective transducer.   They stated the speedometer was possibly due to the inlet hole being plugged.  They cleaned it out and it worked for about 5 min. the next time I took it on the water, but nothing since.  Not sure if I should just plan on that never working as the hole will always plug up? 

2.  After the 4th trip on the water, the dash board that holds the fusion stereo started falling off.  I can't tell if the dash board is held on via a magnet or if it is supposed to be glued.   I am currently in the process of having the dealer take a look at that.

3.  I have also noticed that one of the boards or carpeted sidewalls in one of the storage compartments is sticking out and can be easily pushed back by hand.    Again not sure if that is normal or not. 

The boat only has 7 hours on it and I'm kind of nervous what issues I will encounter next. 

Sorry for the long first post, but just had to vent and wanted to see what other owners have experienced with this model.  

14 REPLIES 14

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Never had a pitot tube speedometer, but yes the tip cannot be clogged for device to function. It may depend on the local waters. If clogging is an issue, then it might change throughout the season.

A detached dash is not functioning as designed, so the dealership will resolve.

Same also w/ a side panel not remaining in place. On my 2000 380DA the factory used umbrella push retention fastener posts for those types of panels. They have acceptable retention.

IMO these are minor problems and I would be shocked if the dealership doesn't provide resolution.

Good luck w/ your boat.

briansabatelli
Guest Contributor
I have a 2019 SPX 230 and have had a similar experience. My Speedo tube was actually never attached and spewed water down the dash during my sea trial.

I can almost guarantee that the dash problems were caused by the dealer service Dept when they attempted to fix your Speedo. My experience has been the service Depts are in desperate need of trained mechanics to handle these more complicated boats.

Keep an eye on every bolt screw and latch. Sea ray doesn’t put lock tite on anything in the factory. It seems like every screw in the boat will back out and loosen.

Sorry to be the bearer of some bad news but once resolved a lot of the problems should never occur again. But man is it frustrating when a brand new boat doesn’t work right.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Correct procedures, attention to detail and assembly are always required.

Proper usage of thread locker is a great assembly aid, but Loctite doesn't belong on every fastener. As an example many screws are driven into fiberglass, not appropriate for Loctite, while others get too hot for Loctite. Some fasteners are "happy" for the long term w/ just being tightened to the correct torque. One benefit of Loctite is thread corrosion prevention.

tolatron
Guest Contributor
I have heard that the boats under 23 ft. are made in Mexico and do not have the same build quality as the boats made in the US. Many folks are making similar complaints with these boat. As mentioned earlier once you get through the first issues you should be fine. Also I agree that the industry in general is suffering from a lack of trained personnel. I have a 230 SPX OB and it has been a great boat to date. The only complaint I have is that the sun pad vinyl is getting tarnished by the sun. Seems that the black mooring cover bakes the vinyl. Don't know why they chose black for this cover.

mjray1
Guest Contributor
Interesting post. I took delivery of a SPX210 in May and so far only 1 issue. The oxygen sensor threw errors within the first hour of use. Dealer said 1 in 10 boats he delivers has faulty O2 sensors. It has something to do with the installation process. I’m only at 8 hours, but so far everything else is working great. 🤞

Sunstreaker
Guest Contributor
I picked up new a 2017190SPX in 2018. I've had gel coat gracing, replaced the tach, navigation light die, seat base loose, port seat back panel.loose, and engine strut mount stripped out. These are the budget line boats, but I would still expect better quality.

eric_cofer
Guest Contributor
I have a 2020 SPX and the helm panel screws have to be tightened about every 10 hours or they’ll completely back off and fall off. I’ve had the dealer tighten them twice with the same result. They said if you over tighten them you can crack the plastic panel and not to use loctite because it’ll make future maintenance on the panels a real headache.
Also my Speedo stopped working after about 20 hrs on the boat. Every once in awhile it randomly works at cruising speed. I assume the little inlet is clogged. But I prefer to use the Mercury mobile app for a more accurate digital speed for water sports and don’t really care too much about speed when just cruising. I run it by the tach when just cruising.
We love the boat. Agree it’s annoying for a brand new boat, but from what I’ve seen with other friends boats these are small things.
Oh and I’ll bet from my experience and others I’ve read here you’ll need the dealer to re-glue parts of your seadek by the end of the summer.

mjray1
Guest Contributor
Can everyone comment if they have an analog tachometer or if they have a digital (Sinrad) one? Mine is digital.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
A pitot speedometer is nothing more than a pressure gauge. It is an age-old system that works perfectly. If it plugs its a problem with the installation. The tube must be free from holes or cracks and both ends need to be firmly attached to the hose barb. Plugging means there is a leak in the system. But note they only work above about 5-10 mph because it takes that much pressure to move the dial.

Loose screws are a simple fix and best left done by yourself. Who knows what else the dealer may break because he's in a hurry.

If you have the 5" Simrad (which is a depth finder) you should have an analog tach. If you have the larger Simrad, the tach is digital.

From what I hear from other boat owners, all of the brands have quality problems in this day and age.

briansabatelli
Guest Contributor
My SPX 230 has had a number of issues, ranging from the sun pad bolts backing out, latches loosening, the engine compartment latch loosens, speakers hum, Simrad wouldn’t detect fuel, sea ray badges fell off, Seadek came unglued, etc etc. We love the boat and the layout. Size is almost perfect. It turns heads wherever we go. But the quality is lacking terribly. Hopefully our fixes last longer than the original!

cw_ky
Guest Contributor
On the speedometer, i noticed the dealer cleaned it out with a small drill bit. Not sure if there is a special tool to carry around in order to clean it out before each use?

I believe the SPX230 is made in Tennesse. I was worried with the SPX210 as those are made in Mexico. Seems to possibly be an issue across the board with them sacrificing quality for quantity.

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
Our SPX 190 was Mexican made. The fit and finish and build quality is perfect. I cannot say one bad thing about the boat. I guess we got lucky, or maybe satisfied customers don't usually comment.

We had our last boat for 35 years and I NEVER cleaned the pitot. It worked 100% all that time. My other boat is a 1952, and that has a 69 year old pitot that still works like new. We boat in weedy and sometimes trashy water.

When slowing down, the pressure inside the speedo head has a natural way of clearing the pitot. To repeat my earlier comment, if your pitot clogs its because there is an air leak in the system. Likely the tube got punctured during assembly.

Pull the hose out while attached to a new hose. Seal both ends with a dab of silicone when re-installing it on the hose barbs. Now that the dealer drilled out your brand new pitot tube, replace that as well.

gmcmahon
Guest Contributor
i also purchased a 2021 SPX 210 in May to replace my 1990 180 Bow Rider. I love the 210 but there are 2 issues the Dealer is working on. 1st, the cover i bought from the manufacture is too small, should be an easy fix.
My main issue is the upgraded stereo system. The sound is horrible and not loud enough to hear when the boat is going 30 miles per hour. I have to keep the bass way down, or the speakers sound is distorted. Anyone else get the upgraded stereo and are you happy?

briansabatelli
Guest Contributor
I have the upgraded Stereo with the subwoofer and amp and had a terrible humming noise that took a long time to fix. Ultimately I paid to have the fusion head unit replaced with JL Audio and added two tower speakers and a second amp. It is more than enough sound now.