cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Sea Ray owners! My boyfriend...

A_Squared
Guest Contributor

Hello Sea Ray owners! My boyfriend and I just purchased our first boat, a 1988 Sea Ray Seville, 18ft with mercury 135hp outboard motor.

It keeps giving a beeping warning sound and we can't figure out what the cause is. We thought it could be a defective oil floater. The beeping first started when we were going faster, but by the end of short trip around the lake, it was doing it even in neutral.

Anyone had this problem before or know a good solution? Hoping to enjoy boating season, but the beeping is nearly constant at this point (not overheating and has plenty of oil and fuel). Any input will be appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

wingless
Rising Contributor
The first place to start is with the documentation.

Does the Owner's Manual provide insight?

The correct Mercury Service Manual should be obtained.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Service-manual-for-Mercury-outboard-motors-135-to-225-HP-V-6-motors-/122447136530?hash=item1c826b0712:g:umQAAOSw4GVYJTQP&vxp=mtr

It may be that there are two sets of engine sensors for oil pressure and for water temperature. One say may be transducers for the gauges, the other set switches for the alarm. In that configuration a good engine would show good on the gauges, but the alarm switches could have a problem.

It might be poor connections to make the alarm unhappy.

A really good first step is to verify clean and solid electrical connections on all the small engine wiring. Then progress with that inspection to the alarm module.