cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I have a '94 300DA with 5.7/V8's...

rjmille
Guest Contributor

Hi, I have a '94 300DA with 5.7/V8's and having an issue with my port engine.  If a week or so goes by without starting, I need to spray a little starting fluid in the carb to get it running.  Prior to trying to start, I pump the throttle in neutral a few times and leave it about half way when I turn the key but it just won't fire (turns over fine).  Once I get it started by spraying, it's fine.  Also good on subsequent starts during the day if we stop for whatever reason.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

First start w/ maximizing your insurance for your loved ones...

Nothing comes to mind that is more flammable than aerosol spray start.

Using that in the engine compartment is super brave, waaay more than I could muster.

Done w/ my superlative sarcasm.

Please stop using spray start on your boat. There should never be flammable vapors on a boat, except contained in the intake manifold on the way to combustion. The human nose is an excellent detector for flammable vapors and once detected the problem should be corrected before usage.

On the plus side those symptoms / conditions all point to a carburetor problem. My guess is the carb might be fine, except possibly has issues related to old fuel obstructing passages, perhaps even the part of the accelerator pump system.

Many times a carb just gets too old and replacement is required. Another option is to enlist a professional for rebuild. My first step is to always try fixing it myself, but that is me...

BradP
Guest Contributor
You might want to check the fuel pump. I had a very similar symptom on a 94 7.4/V8. Only after the fuel pump completely failed and it was replaced, did the starting problem after one week of non use disappear.

rjmille
Guest Contributor
Thanks guys- I will certainly keep an eye on the fuel pump. This spring I was able to start it without any assistance- just pumped the throttle while turning over.