cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I’m new to the club. Just bought...

Final_Frontier
Guest Contributor

Hi, I’m new to the club. Just bought an ‘89 440 Aft Cabin. Can anyone tell me how I go about finding out if my hull is solid fiberglass or cored? I’ve looked through the owners manual but it does not specify that feature. I’d like to know this to determine whether I can install an in-hull sonar transducer. I don’t want to drill any holes in my new-to-me boat. Thanks, Allan

2 REPLIES 2

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

On my 2000 380DA an examination of the internal surfaces in the engine room make it obvious which regions are cored and which are just solid fiberglass.

A brutus force technique would be to perform measurements when the boat is on the hard.

Remove the hose from the seacock, measure the distance to the exterior through the center, measure the distance to the hull interior along the seacock and calculate the difference.

A solid hull will be around an inch a cored hull will be around three inches.

Final_Frontier
Guest Contributor
Thank you, wingless. I was thinking of doing just what you described. In the meantime, I found contact info for Sea Ray Product Support, and using my HIN, they confirmed that my hull was solid fiberglass. Good to know they still have that manufacturing data.