cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1990, 27 foot Amberjack....

Fishtank
Guest Contributor

I have a 1990, 27 foot Amberjack.  I need to replace both aft bilge pumps and floats. This would be fairly easy if either engine was removed.  As is, it is nearly impossible to reach unless I weighed 100lb and had 5ft long arms!  Does anyone have some insight into this dilemma.

4 REPLIES 4

Fishtank
Guest Contributor
I just found some past threads on the topic. Not good news. I am in process of replacing exhaust manifolds on one engine which opens up space. Sounds like I may need to at least pull one on the other engine to get maximum access.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The engine room on my 2000 380DA boat has very decent access. There are instances where I remove some parts to provide acceptable access to other parts.

The removal of both manifolds is a butt pain but is probably the best option.

A rack arm stretcher could possibly help.

https://cdn2.vectorstock.com/i/1000x1000/79/36/rack-torture-device-sketch-engraving-vector-26247936.jpg

Effie
Guest Contributor
Hey Wingless, great sense of humor! Had the same problem on my 33da. Where can I pick up one of those arm stretchers?😂

Fishtank
Guest Contributor
Update. I was able to install the front bilge pump and float switch. I used a pry bar and improvised come along to reattach the drain hose. Regarding the rear bilge pump & switch behind the engines, I offered the skinny, wirey guy working on a boat next to me $20 if he could connect the rear drain hose. He had it done in 10 minutes, where I had already spent an hour unsuccessful! While doing this work i also moved the electrical connections to a waterproof conduit box that has better accessibility.