cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just purchased a 1994  270 Sun...

Rtenth
Guest Contributor

I just purchased a 1994  270 Sun Dancer, great condition, however the boat wanders at idle speed. It takes a lot of steering correction and seems like there is excessive play in the power steering. Is this unusual?

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like two "problems".

It is very common for new boaters to constantly crank the wheel back and forth when moving slowly. That is not required.

Instead, pick a stationary point far away and aim to that point, making slow small corrections when required.

There should be some play in the steering. The wheel should have a few degrees of play before something happens, more indicates there may be a problem.

Rtenth
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless for your reply if it is too much play in the steering system where should I approach the problem first is it a hydraulic system or a single cable from the steering wheel

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue. The boat wouldn’t track straight in the wakeless zone. Checked the trim tab on the outdrive and it was fine. Took it to the repair shop and they told me it was the steering cable. Replaced the cable and it’s all good now.

Stu2
Guest Contributor
i have a 93 270. Let's start with the most simple things:
1. If your boat is equipped with a Bravo out-drive and power steering, the zinc tab above the propeller should not have a fin on it.
2. Remove the center cap of your steering wheel and make sure there is no slack between the wheel and the shaft that the wheel is attached to. Re-tighten the steering wheel nut.
3. Behind the engine, coming out from the transom, there is a black steel steering rod. It is connected to the steering system by a clevis pin. Check that pin for wear and slack.
4. Make sure that you have the proper level of power steering fluid. No Fluid or low fluid will cause slack in the steering system.
Check all of these items first, and hopefully it will solve your problem. There are a lot of other things that could go wrong. Let us know how this works out.

Rtenth
Guest Contributor
Thanks to Stu and Jordan. I will follow these suggestions next time I'm on the boat. I know that there isn't a fin on the outdrive but I will check the wheel and shaft for play. We are keeping the boat in a "dry dock" so acces to her is somewhat limited, although they will put the boat on a maintenance rack for a small charge. Might do that.