cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last season I developed a slow...

Fishtank
Guest Contributor

Last season I developed a slow leak with power steering fluid.  Only seemed to leak while running.  I could not pinpoint leak.  So last fall I removed the p.s. pump with thoughts of rebuilding it over the winter.  I have limited tools and have also had little success in finding rebuild kit or anyplace that would rebuild the pump for me.

So…… I switched plans and will buy a new pump.  A “new” pump from marine dealers such as West Marine etc is about $450-$500.  EBay has numerous pumps available, marine rated, and claiming to replace certain vintages of marine pumps for about $125-$175.

Does anyone have experience with buying a pump from an EBay dealer vs a named Marine Parts supplier?

2 REPLIES 2

Mojo_Workin_
Guest Contributor
I have an '87 AJ with twin Mercruisers. PS pump is on the star. It was leaking. I took it off and pressure tested it. No problem there. The leak was simply the hose and clamp attached to the bottom of the pump. The hose was old and leaking at the clamp! I put new hose on the pump (not the pressure hose) and that was the entire problem. No more leaking.

Stu2
Guest Contributor
Most major cities have 1or2 power steering repair facilities go on line and try to locate one near you .. The pump n my mercruiser 454 is standard G.M.