cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 SPX 190...will it hurt the...

GiGi
Guest Contributor

2018 SPX 190...will it hurt the boat to trickle charge the battery while leaving the positive and negative connected?

9 REPLIES 9

EricN
Guest Contributor
I've put a trickle charger on my 2016 SPX 190 since new, haven't had to change the battery even once. I just turn the battery switch off and then connect the trickle charger.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The integrated chargers installed by Sea Ray are all designed for compatibility with continuous operation, permitting the boat to remain plugged into shore power, with the battery being automatically maintained at full charge.

MWH54
Guest Contributor
Agree. I have the integrated charger on my 2016 19SPX-OB and leave it plugged in continuously while out of town for months at a time. No issues.

SoundLife
Guest Contributor
I have questions about trickle charges. What exactly would you recommend for my 21 SPX ob? Can I leave it on well in the slip between weekend use? Sorry I’m new to all this

wingless
Rising Contributor
Soundlife, welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your new boat.

My examination of the linked spec sheet for the 21 SPX OB shows it does not have shore power (no way to plug it into a dock side AC receptacle.)

Assuming that is correct, then adding shore power and adding an onboard battery charger is not a trivial task. That entire installation should comply w/ all appropriate ABYC specs.

Instead, just use the boat the way it was intended. If it has the two battery option. Manually select battery 1 during one outing, then manually select battery 2 during the next outing.

Turn both batteries off when the boat is unattended.

SoundLife
Guest Contributor
Wingless, thank you. I don’t have the 2 battery option and really can’t turn the battery off when back at the slip because it works bilge.
I can use a trickle charger from a pig tail in shire to an extension cord BUT that doesn’t prevent overcharging

wingless
Rising Contributor
The bilge pump should be wired for continuous power, not wired to become disabled when the battery switch is in the off position.

"All" battery chargers provide maximum output on a discharged batteries, dropping automatically to a trickle charge on a fully charged battery.

All nice marine battery chargers include a switch for selection of the battery chemistry, so that the fully charged float voltage is tweaked up or down to be appropriate for the battery type.

An extension cord to a battery charger is not required and creates a risk. If the boat is in fresh water it creates a danger risk.

tolatron
Guest Contributor
It will be just fine. If you feel more comfortable just turn the battery switch off

SoundLife
Guest Contributor
Thanks everyone. I guess what I am hearing is that when I am back at the slip I should turn the battery OFF and the bilge will still work but this will help save on battery life and I shouldn’t need to have a trickle charge on my battery.