cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had a really bad day on the water...

inAjet
Guest Contributor

Had a really bad day on the water last week. Our Alpha One leg hit a deadhead square on at about 25 knots. Busted the bell housing and gimbal ring in half, and the leg was hanging by the hydraulic rams. Started taking on water through the gimbal bearing. We managed to save the hull through a quick response over VHF and a tow to a nearby marina that had a sling lift.

The drive itself is in good shape. The only visible damage is to the bell housing and gimbal ring - none whatsoever to the transom shield. I though we might get away with only having to replace the bell housing and gimbal ring, but my shop is telling me they want to replace the transom shield as well due to potential issues with the clearances in the upper and lower gimbal pivot points due to the impact. This adds another 5 grand (CAD) to the job because of the cost of the new transom as well as the cost of pulling the motor.

I get it - it was obviously a big impact, and there could be damage not visible to the naked eye. Don’t want to risk bringing an invisible issue out on the water with us. But my question for those more experienced than me is: is this really necessary, or can we get away without replacing the transom shield? They also mentioned they’d have to pull the motor anyway to change the gimbal ring, but I was almost certain you could do it without. Am I wrong here?

Appreciate any advice you may be able to offer…

9 REPLIES 9

inAjet
Guest Contributor

inAjet
Guest Contributor

mjray1
Guest Contributor
I too had an unfortunate meeting with a semi submerged log at a high speed. Took on water, but thankfully the bilge kept up. I have a 2021 SPX210. Damaged the transom assembly and some other parts. They’re going to have to pull the whole engine out as well to do the repair. Estimate came in at just over $10K USD. I’d say you’re getting away for much less than I am.

inAjet
Guest Contributor
Sorry to hear about your experience! Those things are nasty, and nearly impossible to see and avoid. It sounds like we're in a very similar boat (no pub intended) - our shop also needs to pull the motor and replace the transom assembly. I didn't realize you needed access to the other side of the transom to replace the gimbal ring, so they said may as well replace the transom while they're at it because who knows what other hidden damage there may be. Our final estimate is also close to $10k CAD.

jimaddison65
Guest Contributor
Isn't it covered by insurance? If so do what the shop recommends

inAjet
Guest Contributor
Yes and no. It’s an actual cash value policy, meaning they’ll adjust payment for depreciation. So I’ll be paying a good portion of if not the majority out of pocket.

mjray1
Guest Contributor
Mine is covered by insurance thankfully. Standard policy with $70K USD coverage. My deductible is $700.

inAjet
Guest Contributor
That’s great to hear. I think ours might have something to do with being a 21 year old boat. Will definitely be looking at it a bit closer after this debacle.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Needs replaced as recommended.