cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey I need some advice this is...

Shacks_boat
Guest Contributor

Hey I need some advice this is my first post...I have a 2005 sea ray 290slx with twin 5.0 mpi’s with bravo 3 drives. My problem is that a Freind last weekend tried to move my boat from one slip to the next at night. A friend was on the boat with him he accidentally pushed the kill switch for the motors on the left side panel will the post side drive was running and in forward gear. Now I can’t get it out of fear ive tried disconnecting the cable from the helm and the shifter shits freely that way smooth. I tried pulling the cable from the transom by hand. The motor wouldn’t start because of the Neutral Position switch I was thinking if I could get the motor to run then I could bring the motor down to idle and it would release that way no luck. I was thinking to remove the aniod and turn the prop nut and try to pop it out that way. Not sure though I don’t want to damage the drive any further suggestions would be appreciated or if a tech on here knows what to do tell me. I’m very knowledgeable and how to fix things on a boat. The last option would be to remove the back plate and take a look to see if the shift arm is bent or the cable is jammed. I really don’t want to pull the drive if it’s not needed.  

thanks in advance 

1 REPLY 1

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The "easy" solution is to push that friend off the boat and have him try to rock the propeller back and forth while you attempt to start the boat.

Assuming that doesn't work, then why not put a socket onto the crankshaft pulley nut and use a breaker bar to jog / rock the engine slightly to remove the abnormal force from the drive, so a second person can return the shift to neutral.

IMO this problem should not exist and may be a symptom indicative of another problem.