cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a new 2015 270 Sun Deck...

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor

I bought a new 2015 270 Sun Deck in September 2015 from the local dealer. The mooring cover leaks into one of the largest storage compartments on the port side but there is no means for drainage. The local dealer added a rubber seal around the arch supports which has helped but I can't store anything in there due to the wetness and mold. Water accumulates in the table storage tray. Sea Ray has been telling me for a year and a half now that they are working on a solution. My biggest complaint is that I'm losing a large amount of convenient storage. Does anyone know exactly where it is leaking? Has anyone tried making a plastic drop-in catch basin just below the leak point such that the water is captured at it's highest point so that items can still be stored underneath the catch basin? Or tried a portable rechargeable pump (although I'm not sure where the tubing should travel to dump the water)?

21 REPLIES 21

wingless
Rising Contributor
It sounds like there are two problems.

The mooring cover should cause rainwater to shed the boat, not to drain into a storage compartment. Can the cover be placed while an observer is within the boat to visually observe the fault, either during a rainstorm or while a garden hose is directing water onto the cover exterior?

The storage compartment should not leak. Is this in the bow or stern? There is usually a molded lip w/ a rubber seal to direct water out of the compartment.

Can images be posted of the problem parts?

JeffBoating
Guest Contributor
I have the same problem on my 2016 270OB. SeaRay replaced the bow mooring cover with a redesigned model. The additional support pole is better but the canvas is very poorly made. I have been trying to get the dealer to replace it since the fall. Sea Ray needs to step up here and solve these issues with a sense of urgency.

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
@Jeffrey Gemunder thanks for reminding me that there are actually 2 problems: the bow cover and the Portside aft storage compartment leak. Sea Ray replaced the cover's single straight tent pole with a T-shaped pivoting tent pole but the tent pole really needs to be X shaped because water is still collecting in the port side corner. The pole also collapses under the weight of rain water.

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
Port seat compartment leak

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
Bow cover

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
Port seat compartment leak 2

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
Bow tent pole collapsing

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
Bow pole collapsing 2

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
I was in touch with Jason Reiter at Brunswick throughout last season. He said they know these issues exist, they are working on solutions, and he will contact me when they have solutions. Apparently those with covered boat slips don't know there are problems. Unlike my last boat, this boat has no shore power, so there is always the fear that the leak will kill the batteries and I'll get the dreaded call from the marina.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the images.

They are showing the water accumulated at the bottom of the compartment.

Could image(s) also be provided of the top of the compartment, so that the structure / seal that should be preventing water intrusion may be seen?

IMO the compartment should remain dry even if the boat is uncovered in a downpour. What happens if the boat is being used and it starts raining, everything in there gets soaked?

The single bow is obviously insufficient to shed water.

When I designed and fabricated my custom dinghy cover I included two high bows, so that it would always shed water, even in a torrential downpour. My solution has always worked.

http://forum.sailrite.com/wingless-1994-edey-duff-columbia-dinghy-cover_topic3066.html

It is unlikely that a drip pan can be placed to catch the water. One "solution" while patiently waiting for the dealership to resolve the problem would be usage of Dri-Dek on the bottom and waterproof zip storage bags for the contents.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/dri-dek--dri-dek-panels--P015_456_001_512

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
How am I getting water in the bathroom? This cover is very leaky! The arch needs a better seal!

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
We love the design and functionality or our new 270 Sun Deck, but I spent nearly six figures on what I thought was a quality Sea Ray in order to avoid all the problems of a cheap new boat or a used boat. This boat's cover leaks large volumes of water into the large port aft storage, rendering it useless. The local dealer added the rubber hose you see here, but it is not tall enough to withstand the slope of the cover and it has cracked in less that a year. You can see it needs a TALLER rim of rubber in between the canvas flaps to put up a taller barrier for runoff from the steep slope of the cover.

LuckyDog1
Guest Contributor
I've got a canvas shop working on a solution to wrap up and around the arches about 6 inches and connect with Velcro around the outer portion of the arch. Currently when the canvas is in place and tight there is a 2 inch gap on both sides where the tower comes down to the boat.

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
LuckyDog, I called Jason Reiter at Brunswick. He said they came up with a solution: some sort of 8 inch muff in the canvas around the arches so they don't leak, and they will fill in the depression where the tabletop storage rack drops below the level of the drain and exchange my "tall" round tabletop for a "shorter" one that can still be stowed in that compartment. My boat is at the dealer now. He said he would contact me last summer once there was a solution but he FAILED. Poor systems! How do these people function? The funny thing is that my head was full after only a few uses. I joked with the dealer that the head tank must be only 2 gallons. He looked at me like I was crazy, but all the rain water from the leaky canvas has been draining into the bathroom floor, which probably drains as grey water into the head tank, filling it up with virtually no one using it. I'll be glad when that problem is resolved because I have no pumpout near me!

LuckyDog1
Guest Contributor
Sounds like the same solution me and my canvas guy came up with. So are they going to make this a recall item? We ALL have this issue.

LuckyDog1
Guest Contributor
Just spoke with my dealer, he's going to coordinate with the canvas shop and do a warranty claim for me as well. Will save me about $300.

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
Yes, my dealer will add some sort of cuff on the canvas under warranty to hopefully reduce the leakage around the arch. They also have a solution for the port side table holder floor being lower than the drain. They will switch out my round table for one that is "shorter and shaped differently" and glass over the table holder depression where water was collecting and had no means of drainage, making everything moldy. I have one the of the earliest versions so I believe this isn't a problem in later models.

LuckyDog1
Guest Contributor
Sneaky Pete do you have Jason Reiter's contact information at Brunswick? My dealer sent the claim request over and it was denied.

LuckyDog1
Guest Contributor
Never mind I got in contact with him.

Sneaky_Pete
Guest Contributor
Canvas guy added an 8 inch tall cuff of canvas that wraps around the inside of the arch. No way that rainwater that is descending from the cover is going over that. It ties on the outside of the arch.

LuckyDog1
Guest Contributor
Mine is supposed to get done this week, fingers crossed.