cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a 2015 searay 310 DA from...

Pcrace51
Guest Contributor

I bought a 2015 searay 310 DA from an individual here in Hilton head last July. It had just completed its 300 hour service at our local marine max. On our sea trial we discovered a critical steering warning that was related to a trim fluid leak. The boat was already scheduled to have some minor warranty items replaced that hadn’t been done yet secondary to part delays. They said they would look at that when they did the warranty work. When they did this they said the trim fluid was leaking from a trim cylinder on the port engine and replaced this. It was at marine max approximately 5 weeks for this. When I picked it up it was immediately getting the same warning and I noticed trim fluid in the bilge area. It took about 3 weeks before marine max could work me back in. This time they said it was the trim reservoir that was leaking. There another month. When I picked it up again, still immediately with the same warning. Now I could see trim fluid leaking in the water as well as my bilge area. This time marine max sent a tech to my boat slip and determined that the leak was coming somewhere behind the port engine and they would have to pull the engine to find it. The boat was brought back to them on November 30th. After two weeks they called me to come look at the boat. Their mechanic showed me the damage. He said that the y pipe had eroded behind the port engine allowing salt water to erode through the transom assembly where the trim hoses were running to the lower unit. He said this shouldn’t happen on a boat of this age and that it was likely a part defect or an installation defect at the time of the build. He said I would need to replace the entire lower unit, transom assembly, and the y pipe. This was around 8k. Searay graciously agreed to offer money towards this and I was very appreciative of that. Marine max called me around the first week of February to tell me that the engine work was completed but their mechanic was having trouble getting the engine hatch to open and close properly after putting it back together. They finally figured this out and I went to pick the boat up on Friday February 26th. On Sunday February 28th I was delivering the boat for bottom painting as it had been delayed so long. On the way there after being underway approximately 30 minutes I got a warning on the helm that the lube to the starboard drive was low and that I should shut down and return to dealer immediately. I turned it off and there was a fire in the engine bay. I realized the fire suppression system had not engaged and I pulled the pin and activated manually. Nothing happened. At this point the cockpit was starting to be engulfed in flames and my wife and I had to bale in the sound. The boat burned to the water line and is now a complete loss. I post this for everyone’s education. Be very careful of marine max mechanic work. Also, be sure your insurance policy covers boat salvage. It’s not like a car loss. Many marine policies do not cover salvage. This is going to cost me over 20k to haul the salvage. Unfortunately, marine max is yet to take any responsibility. 

3 REPLIES 3

Sea-N-Sea
Guest Contributor
That is a horrific story. I think I would hire an attorney.

Pilotwood51
Guest Contributor
Checking my insurance policy today!

PJS
Guest Contributor
Wow, what an ordeal. Sorry to about the headache.... and every boaters nightmare. Unless you can prove the fire was directly attributable to the workmanship, a legal battel will only benefit one group; the attorneys. Hopefully the insurance will cover replacement and you can move on. I know that is of little consolation as I know I would be on the mechanics door step for a little coaching lesson.