cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade the original...

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor

Looking to upgrade the original C80 and VesselView in my 2006 340 DA. Looking at the Garmin GPSMap 942xs Plus bundle to replace the C80. Anyone have experience with the 942xs Plus? Also considering either a VesselView 703 or a Garmin 742. Any recommendation would be much appreciated. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

Vinster
Guest Contributor
I installed a 942xs in the space under the gauges as my main GPS ( my 2007 340DA did not come equipped with the vessel view unit) I still run the C80 for Radar as a back up GPS. I plan to add another 942xs, and a new radar dome shortly. The Garmins have ability to sync, a nice option. I did install vessel view mobile so I can monitor engines on an old cell phone using a ram mount.

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Hi, Vinster. Thanks so much for your reply. I have heard good things about the Garman 942xs plus. West Marine is offering a nice bundle on the 942XS plus and the radar dome. I have one on order now and I will be installing a 742 xs in place of my existing VesselView. The fact that they talk to one another makes it a no-brainer. I am told that the 742 will talk to all of the equipment and I I will get all of the readings that I currently receive on the vessel view. I’ll let you know how it works out. I’m about a week away. Thanks!

PJS
Guest Contributor
I would verify manufacturer compatibility (assuming you want the vessels vitals on your MFD?). From my understanding there only two manufacturers that are compatible; Simrad and Raymarine. This is noted on the Mercruiser website...

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Hi, PJS. Thanks for the heads-up. Took your advice and checked with my Marine Dealer/Installer. He assured me that the Garmin will work and sent me the following link: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/smartcraft-connect/

PJS
Guest Contributor
Very good. That must be new as I purchased Simrad because of the compatibility (did not like Raymarine as much). Good luck...

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Thanks, PJS! Get her back after a month at the shop! Can hardly wait. Will let you know how it goes.