cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2016 Sea Ray Sundeck and...

Mavereks
Guest Contributor

I have a 2016 Sea Ray Sundeck and am new to the boat.  When I trim the motor up or down it kills the stereo and the speedometer for a second and then they come back on.  I also tried operating the trim from the back of the boat and that killed them too.  I am thinking there is a short somewhere but I am not sure where to start looking.  Have any of you had this problem before?

2 REPLIES 2

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck w/ your new boat.

The symptoms sound to me like the main DC power distribution (thick red and thick black wires) has a poor connection, causing a voltage drop to the problematic devices when a high current draw, such as from the trim motor, sucks up most of the power.

If this were mine, then I would use a high current load, such as from a carbon pile load, to draw lots of current from the battery, such as around 10A DC, then use a DC voltage meter to determine / verify if any abnormal voltage drops exist at any connection, to pinpoint the problem.

Another "shotgun" approach is to first remove the cables from all battery negative terminals, then to sequentially disassemble, inspect, clean, properly assemble, properly tighten, then properly insulate each of the thick red and black cables, such as with liquid electrical tape, from the battery through each of the connections on the boat.

Mavereks
Guest Contributor
Wingless- I have been watching your posts since I became a Sea Ray owner. You are a wealth of knowledge and I thank you for sharing it with others as well as me. I am anxious to get home and start working on your advice. I will keep you posted. THANKS AGAIN!!!!