cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would love to hear any and all...

Robby
Guest Contributor

I would love to hear any and all info or feedback on my upcoming purchase... engine and hull surveys are in the next 2 weeks with closing date April...  She is a 2000 270 Sundancer with twin 4.3s, salt water, lift kept, low hours, AC, NO generator.  Maintenance records look good.  Mostly curious about peoples comments that have owned this style - most of you have moved up I am sure 🙂 Thank you in advance!  Robby

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
My suggestion is to remove the riser or elbow from the exhaust manifold to inspect for corrosion. There is a limited service life for those parts, two to four years, and you should be sitting down when pricing replacement parts.

On mine, I redesigned the exhaust system from those expensive cast iron parts remaining full of salt water 24/7/365, with NO possibility of flushing, to now being able to be manually flushed w/ fresh water, soapy water then Salt Away. Afterwards I drain them bone dry.

The side exhausts on my boat changed from always being rust stained after usage to always being clean and shiny.

It is a good plan to separate the elbow from the manifold for an annual inspection, so always keep spare gaskets on-hand.

Get a professional survey. Examine the maintenance records.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
Would suggest professional survey. 4.3 great engines, but early on had sync problems. Probably carb in 2000 I would guess. If no survey. Agree pull 4 bolts off each riser inspect water channels. If badly rusted will need manifolds, riser and elbow replacement. If any rust through at any point in system motor will be done. Allows salt water into exhaust valve in head. Also want to look into carb if equipped. Look for white crystal growth on inside of carb neck. Light coating normal. But if in ecsess expect carb, sync problems. Low hours doesn't equal no problems. But style boat...Great for any use...

RML_L
Guest Contributor
Congrats, but a couple of thoughts. A professional survey is a great idea. I was looking at an older 240 once that was up for insurance auction, and SR customer service itself warned of older foam-filled larger boats that, basically, acted like an enormous sponge and absorbed water from the air and doubled the boat weight. Speaking of the 240 and your comment "most of you have moved up," I have always thought of the 240 as the penultimate "big" boat for overnighting and large-lake cruising. Knowing how much fuel a single MerCruiser Bravo takes to jog around, I just cannot wrap my mind around two of them doing much of the same thing . . . even if I were a trust funder. Anyway, welcome to the quality of Sea Ray and the safe adventure that boating brings. All the best!

Robby
Guest Contributor
Thank you wingless, hydratherapy and RML&L - our upcoming surveys are both to be performed by reputable licensed surveyors so I feel pretty good about that. We have been with (older) Pursuits since 2003 - Sea Ray is a new adventure for us. Husband loves to fish and I am the nester... I appreciate all of your info and advice so far and look forward to our future fun with this Sea Ray - or another if this one doesn't work out. We are limited by weight and size or would have looked at the 280's - we wanted twins, love the amenities for weekender use. I think we will be very happy with SR