cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After purchasing my 2001 450 EB...

Dave63
Guest Contributor

After purchasing my 2001 450 EB in Maryland, I began moving it to my home port in Florida.  I got as far as North Carolina before the Starboard engine had overheating issues.  After 15 phone calls I finally found someone who could look at it.  After looking at the fluids under the engine (reddish) and finding fluids sitting in various crevices of the engine (bluish green) it appears there are multiple leaks.  When the mechanic was looking/feeling around the engine, it seemed the outside of the engine needed a closer examination.

It seems that due to the tight spaces, the outside of both engines may lack attention due to difficulty to there.  Because of this, I ok'd removing the back deck in order to access both sides of the engines.

Being new to this boat, my question is with the deck off what items should be inspected, maintained, replaced, serviced or cleaned given the access is about as good as it gets?

Obviously I will want to do this to both engines and any other equipment or hoses that may finally be somewhat easier to get to.

Thank You. 

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the engine room is tight on that boat.

The 20 year old hoses and hose clamps could be swapped. The engine parts could be cleaned and repainted. All fluids and filters swapped.

For all of my machines I get the manufacturer's Factory Service Manual(s) (FSM) and use those to ensure proper repair / maintenance. That FSM is an essential tool to ensure proper steps are followed.

Identification / repair of all leaks is very important.

If the dripless seals are original then replacement is probably in order. Swapping all the raw water hoses and hose clamps is a good step.

Based on the reported condition, I would say everything should be touched / inspected / repaired / replaced.

The boat should be 100% to ensure it always returns safely to the dock.

Dave63
Guest Contributor
Thank you, appreciate your response and I will definitely get those items replaced and up to date. So far I only know what the mechanics have shared as I’m 600 miles away now. They did say there was a rusted connection on a fuel line allowing a fuel leak.

Glad I stopped when I did.

CCH
Guest Contributor
What engines do you have? Cat, Cummins? Overheat would typically be heat exchanger, aftercooler, raw water pump service

OBee
Guest Contributor
With the cockpit deck open, I would replace all hoses and clamps, pull all the coolers and clean/replace as necessary, replace pencil zincs, and change oil & coolant, engines & trannies. Had all this done on my '02 450EB, acquired 18 months ago due to sketchy maintenance records. Hoses were stiff or cracked with plenty busted clamps. Coolers needed replace, except primary engine coolers cleaned in place.

Dave63
Guest Contributor
The engines and the Cummins 440hp