cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have at 2006 SR 40 Motor Yacht...

mkistner
Guest Contributor

I have at 2006 SR 40 Motor Yacht with 480 Cummins Diesels at 330 hours.  It dropped a valve on the #4 cylinder of the port motor and the cylinder wall and piston have pitted metal.  The cylinder is lined so it can be rebuilt in place but I'm being told by Cummins the labor will push the cost around $30K.  Has anyone had a similar repair or ever had to replace a motor.  I don't see any way to pull and replace a motor - it would appear the only way would be to breakdown and rebuild in place.

7 REPLIES 7

JBA
Guest Contributor
I had a Detroit Diesel 8v92 rebuilt many years ago at $30,000. Price sounds in line.

Scott18
Guest Contributor
Unfortunately this is quite common on the 480CE, seems like Cummins tried to squeeze too much power out of these and Sea Ray (and other manufacturers) over propped them and they have been run harder than they should be. Once the work is done you should have props tuned to match the 450C fuel curve, not the 480CE.

SMT
Guest Contributor
If the block is ok they can in frame the motor. Do the entire kit not just the one hole.

Jenny2
Guest Contributor
Where are you located? That seems outrageous. Other than than they are a pain to work on there is nothing that tough about the job. As far as replacing all the cylinders at 330 hrs that is creating unnecessary work and wasting money. I would spring for a new head from Cummins because if this was a problem they have most likely made a design change. We have had excellent results with our Cummins and have had over 100 in many different applications. Do yourself a favor and call another Cummins branch

mkistner
Guest Contributor
I'm in Jacksonville, FL. It got worse when I received my formal proposal from Cummins Service. The written estimate ended up being for $39,384 ($25K was labor). The service manager asked upper management for some help and all they offered was to hold the labor rates throughout the entire job (claims they are about to have a rate increase from the current $143/hr). I told them I was going to look into other options so they sent me a bill for $3,946 which covered the three days they took to diagnose the problem, remove the rocker assembly, coolant lines, unbolt the head and set the valves on the port motor. I ended up using our diesel mechanic from work and we are half way through the rebuild. We are only replacing one piston, the head assembly and the turbo which still comes out to $8K in materials but his rate will be a third of Cummins. I sent an email to the Cummins Customer Service email from the main website and they simply forwarded it to the local Marine Max. I hope this was a fluke incident and I do not have any issues the the Starboard motor because I would not want to go through this process again.

Jenny2
Guest Contributor
Wow. 3 days to do that little amount. I know it’s tight down there but I think that’s a bit extreme. I’m in Michigan and we deal with the Saginaw branch that has some of the best techs. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction and I still totally stand by replacing the 1 hole. What block is that engine? I hope they are not trying to push a 5.9 that far. I have there top guy coming tomorrow to do some warranty repairs I’ll pick his brain about valves being a problem in that application. If it makes you feel any better we lost a valve on an M11 a couple years back. Ours didn’t handle it as well as yours. All we were able to salvage was the rocker cover, alternator and the fan hub. So I feel your pain

Jolly_Mon_II
Guest Contributor
[email protected] repaired our port engine with the same problem 680 hours. Antiono Drivilas is located just outside Jacksonville. He is excellent and about 1/3 of the price you were quoted.