cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LiFePO4 battery replacement question.i...

RAV
Guest Contributor

LiFePO4 battery replacement question.

i have installed 400w of solar on my 420DA and now looking at installing lithium battery as main house battery to max solar effectiveness, but concerned the Li is not suited for starting port diesel.  I want to keep regular Gels as port starter batteries and separate house wiring to the Li.  Unsure how to accomplish.  Has anyone done Li conversion?

2 REPLIES 2

wingless
Rising Contributor
This web page has good info.

https://www.custommarineproducts.com/lifepo4-marine-batteries.html

Other than weight reduction (insignificant benefit on large boat) and extended life, I don't see the benefit of LiFePO4 over AGM.

The on hook run time is also important to me. To that end I selected the Lifeline GPL-31XT because it has the highers Ah capacity of any Group 31 battery, at 125Ah, ~25% more than every other Group 31 battery.

It also has more capacity than many of the LiFePO4 batteries.

RAV
Guest Contributor
We anchor extensively and i find the AGM while initially charging rapidly drops charging amps after initial bulk and it takes many hours to bring to full charge. LiFe batteries will charge at full rate available from panels all the way up. I see this as making us almost energy independent with 400W of solar. Still major question of how to isolate starter from rest of house. On water now so will have a better look tomorrow.