cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, I've about had it with the...

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor

So, I've about had it with the Zeus drives. Had to replace both steering transmission seals last week. Evidently, this is a known problem with the pods and kept very quiet by SeaRay/Mercruiser, as they are still selling pods.  I maintain my boats just like my airplane, to a very high standard.  This is not due to abuse or neglect, it's simple usage. I've had to replace or repair almost every single large component of the pod system.  The engines seem to be very dependable.  I am requesting information from others about any mechanical failures related to the trim tabs and/or the steering seals.  There is no reason for a seal to blow like this with todays technology and SeaRay should step up to address the issue.  I guarantee if you haven't had these issues, you will.  It's just a matter of time.  If I had known of this problem, I would have replaced the seals as a preventative measure, instead of being 20 miles out of the keys and having to limp back on one engine.  It is a bitch of a job, BTW.  

Please PM me or post about your issues.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
Sorry about the frustration.

Stop maintaining like an airplane and start maintaining like a boat! (My best and only attempt at humor...)

This article has good info on pods, maintenance and failures.

https://www.passagemaker.com/channels/the-truth-about-shaft-and-pod-propulsion

My long-term ownership of my boat has revealed many undocumented maintenance steps required to ensure proper operation.

It sounds like your ownership is also leading to a better understanding of the demands for your boat.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
I did my homework before buying a 2018 460 Dancer, that is why it has V-drives.

Mystic_Adventur
Guest Contributor
Sorry you had to deal with this significant repair. So far, on my Zeus drives on my 2009 Sundancer, I have not had any problem with the steering transmission seals. I did ask the mechanic during the annual maintenance (which is very pricy) about these seals and was told that replacing before failure was not recommended. I'll keep my fingers crossed, since I am heading to Key West this Saturday!

Gudu
Guest Contributor
I also have a 2009 model 470. The seal is a misnomer, US$30K for a new actuator because of a "seal" ! First time it happened I replaced the entire pod, for just a little more on the $$$, 2nd time I replaced the "seal" due to long waiting time for a new pod! Yes poor design or dare i say it an inherent design fault by Mercury/Zues and no help from either as I had to go to Cummins (who had very little idea on repair) due politics when the companies split.