cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are considering upgrading to...

Yachts_of_Fun
Guest Contributor

We are considering upgrading to an L650 Flybridge but have heard about concerns of quality control issues for these boats. We don’t want to buy someone else’s problems but really like the layout and looks of the boat. I would like to hear comments from existing owners regarding any experience with issues for these boats in particular

5 REPLIES 5

L550Castaway
Guest Contributor
I have a L550. Purchased it as 2nd owner in May and very happy (came out of a 48DA). I know of someone who did the deliveries of all L Class boats who told me he thought the 650 was the best boat they made, which I know is a strong statement. I think a strong survey, and trying to find out the warranty history can tell you if you have a good boat or not. Also, try to find out what hull # you are looking at - dont want the first few 650's off the line, and dont want the last (when they all knew they were losing their jobs).

HUMPH
Guest Contributor
There was a run of the L650 Fly that had bonding issues for the stringers. Send the HIN or Sea Ray and they can tell you whether or not that boat was one of the ones with this issue. They didn’t put a full width bead of adhesive on the stringers to get them to properly adhere to the hull.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
Also, what engine package? They were mostly 3 engine Zeus pods. 3 times the headaches and a very tight engine room.

L550Castaway
Guest Contributor
The 650 is not a triple Zeus boat. The 650 and 550 are straight drive boats. The 590 is the triple boat w. Zeus. That is why the market is flooded with them - tough resale with that engine package.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
You are correct, bad assumption on my part. The C18's are good engines as well. If the stringer issues are resolved, that's a lot boat for the $$$$.