cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2003 340 Sundancer, my generator...

Fast_Eddie1
Guest Contributor

2003 340 Sundancer, my generator will start but quits running after just a minute or so. New impeller on water pump and it's pumping good, Full tank gas. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Livin_the_Dream
Guest Contributor
If you have the Koehler generator like I have in my 340 Sundance, you may need to adjust or rebuild the carb. My mechanic recommended that I run the generator under load for 10-15 minutes weekly to keep it in good working order

ernie2
Guest Contributor
I wonder if its choke related. 1-2 min the motor could be getting warm and the fuel/air mixture is off. Does it start pulsing?

sarbog
Guest Contributor
I have an ‘05 Sundance with the Koehler and my generator has started to pulse. What is the fix.

Vinster
Guest Contributor
Do you have a gen with a code visible? My advice is #1. Check the low pressure switch. Could be either loose wires or bad switch. #2, wires to relay, loose or corroded. #3, plugs ok? #4, next would be fuel check. Is fuel psi good? If no guage, Easy check is push in Schrader valve (gen off, hard spray?) Fuel pump and filter good? With gen starting but stopping you may have fuel "heating" issue. The cooler may have a bad "internal" pump or the cooler itself it may be partially clogged. Flush with barnacle buster. If damage is beyond flush, replacement is only option. Not repairable. Cost $700. If you have to change cooler, do primary fuel pump and filter at same time. Good luck, been there, done all that.

ernie2
Guest Contributor
@ Sarbog I have a 2006 340 with a Kohler 5e genset. For a while, I was chasing genset issues where it would run SUPER lean on startup and then other times it would pulse up and down on RPM with a light load or idle. After replacing spark plugs, the antidiesel solenoid, and a bunch of other things, found it was a simple adjustment of the electronic choke. On the top of the genset, there should be a black dial that's about an 2 inches in size. It will adjust for more rich and lean fuel settings by turning clockwise/counter-clockwise. There's a screw you have to loosen so you can turn it. I found when it was pulsing, it was an issue of turning about 1/8 of an inch to rich. When it was running rough on startup (usually in the "winter" i'm in San Diego so I'll use winter loosely), it was a matter of going back to 1/8 inch to lean. That worked for me

Andyrey
Guest Contributor
Fast Eddie. check oil level, it has sensor for low oil and water flow. Sounds like you have good water flow.