cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, All. Had a successful weekend...

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor

Hi, All. Had a successful weekend replacing four Duckbill valves for my Sealand Vacuflush. Works like a charm! Thanks to the online videos. Also, removed the old peeling Raymarine logo on the radar housing and replaced it with new decals that I had made by a local sign shop. Turned out great. 

Now I need to install a rudder angle indicator on my 06 340 Sundancer. Any recommendations for product? I would like an analogue gauge, chrome trim, backlit. 

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

wingless
Rising Contributor
Doesn't the autopilot control head already have a rudder position indicator?

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Hi, wingless. No autopilot on my boat. 😞 The Mercury SmartCraft System View has a rudder position indicator, but, according to the OM it isn't functional with a V-drive. So, I need to add one.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Why not add an autopilot, including the rudder indicator?

That device makes operation much easier / safer, even w/o using all the features.

Just push AUTO and the course is maintained, freeing the helm person to devote attention to other vessels, the engines and other stuff.

"Easy" to install w/ the existing hydraulic steering, splicing in a reversible pump into the steering loop.

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Hmmmm.... You have my attention. I would love autopilot! Just thought that it would cost an arm and a leg. Any recommendations?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is one.

https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-T70154-Pilot-Ev-100-Power/dp/B00G2D3SEO/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=raymarine+autopilot&qid=1596491880&sr=8-4

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Very cool! Guest what I just added to my wish list??? Thank you, wingless!

Lew1
Guest Contributor
I added a rudder guage to my 340. I had a Faria rudder guage 13725 installed in my 340 ($54.99), VDO rudder single station sender 440-003 ($71.99) VDO kit-Rudder installation 440-050 ($14.00). So glad I did this. It has made backing into our slip a breeze.

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Thanks, Lew! Very helpful. Yep, backing into the slip is a big reason for it. Thank you!

wingless
Rising Contributor
Note the "easy" way to ensure the rudders are centered for backing into the slip w/o a rudder gauge is to not touch the wheel after going straight while at speed and instead steer w/ the throttles. I do that all the time to not have to fiddle w/ the wheel while looking at the display and can also enjoy immediate steering response.

The previously linked autopilot was not examined in detail to be correct for the boat, it just appeared to be a complete system.

Prior to purchasing go through the details to ensure the system has the required features and is correct.

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
wingless.... yep, that's the way I have been doing it. Five full revolutions of the wheel.... 2-1/2 centers the rudders and I am shifter good. Reason for the RAI was to know when my rudder are dead straight...

bill_mns
Guest Contributor
Rudder Angle indicators are only good in dead calm water. Also remember sterling with rudders only work when water is being pushed past them. Learn to use your port and starboard shifters to turn your boat and you will not have any future issues

Dave_Kerr
Guest Contributor
The auto pilot includes a rudder position indication. If you add the rudder position you're half way there.

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
Thanks, Bill and Dave!