cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a  2007 340 Sundancer. I...

Attackbeagle
Guest Contributor

I have a  2007 340 Sundancer. I noticed the caulk around my 14 inch sky lights (round) above the salon is cracked and missing. I am getting some moisture in the salon floor. Just from looking inside and outside, it does not look like the skylights are easy to remove and re-seat. Is the best practice just to re-caulk from the outside.

9 REPLIES 9

wingless
Rising Contributor
Do the sealing the correct way.

Remove the part, clean off all the old sealant, ensure both mating surfaces are clean and dry, select an appropriate sealant, apply per the manufacturer's instructions, then clean up the excess for a nice appearance.

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
I had the same problem. I just re-caulked mine last week. Couldn't get the skylight out of the boat so I removed the old caulking and cleaned it up best I could. I'll let you know how it's working. Haven't been able to check since then.

Seabuz
Guest Contributor
Clean it up the best you can from the outside. Get some 5200 and recall it from the outside. Build a nice bead and smooth it out with a wet finger

Attackbeagle
Guest Contributor
Thanks Seabuz! That is exactly what I did. I will see if it works.

300_sunpancer
Guest Contributor
I have a 300 Sundancer and have the same issue. I removed both of the round windows cleaned it up and replace them with 5200 and they're completely watertight

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
Hey 300 sunpancer, how did you remove the windows?

300_sunpancer
Guest Contributor
Working from the top side I used a straight head screw driver and box cutter to clean out the old caulking and then was able to work the window up.

Attackbeagle
Guest Contributor
Captain Jeff, they do not remove. They seem permanently mounted.

bjac
Guest Contributor
I had to repair my starboard sky light on my 2004 and when I cleaned out both sides of the old caulking the glass was free. I did not remove it, just re caulked both sides while it was in place. No more leaking now.