cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help repairing a snap that...

MillenniumDolph
Guest Contributor

I need help repairing a snap that screws into the fiberglass of my spoiler.  The fiberglass has cracked a little bit around the screw, so basically it is stripped.  What could I use to fill in this gap so that it could hold the snap in place securely as I do use this snap to secure my bimini.

Thank you

Ben

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
A picture could be helpful.

My preference is West System epoxy and it might work in this application. I also use their fillers to thicken their epoxy and it might be useful here.

My guess is to fill the hole with epoxy, allow to fully harden, drill and replace hardware.

MillenniumDolph
Guest Contributor
Yeah, I meant to take a picture but completely forgot. Will take one this weekend to show you what I'm talking about.

I've never used an epoxy resin, is there anything I need to know in order to use it. I assume it would be sort of like spackling dry wall. Any specific tools I need or would a putty knife do the job?

Anyways I'll get a picture up here and let you see what I'm talking about before I do anything. Thanks for all your help!

wingless
Rising Contributor
The West System epoxy is terrific.

My usage is to have a small digital scale, a disposable mixing cup, a stirring tool, acetone and paper towels.

The cup is put onto the scale and the cup mass is tared out, to show 0.0g. I add the estimated quantity of resin, divide the mass by 5 and multiple by 6. The hardener is added to attain the calculated mass.

The epoxy is mixed, permitted to stand for the required dwell time, fillers are added as required to attain the desired properties and consistency then applied.

Tools are cleaned w/ acetone to permit future reuse.

After an hour, preliminary clean up of the repair is performed, also using acetone, if required.

Motorvader
Guest Contributor
Fill with West System Six10 Thickened epoxy, let cure and re-drill the hole.

Motorvader
Guest Contributor
Six10 thickened epoxy in a caulk gun tube is amazing stuff. It has two chambers - one for resin and one for hardener. No measuring or guess work. Simply screw on the mixing nozzle, cut the tip to desired bead width and inject a small amount into the snap hole. I recommend using blue painters tape with a small hole in it (smaller the than snap outside diameter so you don't get epoxy all over the surrounding gelcoat). West Marine sells 3/4" wide x 6" long (approx.) flat plastic sticks in the epoxy, fiberglass repair and paint area. You can use this to level it out. Inject only the amount needed to fill the hole. Throw away the nozzle and plastic stick, clean off the of threaded end on the tube with paper towels and acetone and screw on the storage cap. You will find many uses for the this stuff around the boat and at home.

Motorvader
Guest Contributor
Six10 is epoxy resin that's been pre-filled with a fine ceramic powder to thicken it so it stays in place (works like corn starch in cooking). Would be nice if they had 3 different versions with varying amounts of thickener.
It can tend to slide a little on vertical surfaces. You can also buy their ceramic filler separately in a can and mix in more thickener on a paper plate to take it up to peanut butter
consistency. Amazing stuff.

Boatie
Guest Contributor
The west system epoxy is the best stuff around for bonding to fiberglass