cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I purchased a new actuator and...

Herrickjde
Guest Contributor

I purchased a new actuator and it works when I connect it hot to a 12 volt source and reverse wires to extend and contract the piston. I also replaced the toggle switch on the helm and when I meter the 2 wires at the actuator I get 12 + and 12 - when toggling the switch. When I connect a 12 volt bulb, it lights up. But the damn actuator connected to these wires will not work. Feedback requested please. Happy to provide more information and here is the wiring diagram as the wires at the actuator different colors and not red/blk and yellow/blk.

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
The most important tool I use is an index card w/ profanity words, so that I can cycle through the list w/o inadvertently missing anything important...

It sounds like the appropriate steps have been followed.

Please confirm that the voltage meter is connected to the two motor leads and that voltage verification is provided those points, +12V in one direction, -12V in the other.

If all correct, but no movement when the loose motor is connected, then there is likely a high resistance point in the wiring, possibly at a connection.

Please repeat the voltage measurement while the motor is added to the circuit.

If the issue is only when the motor is mechanically connected, then it might still be a high resistance somewhere in the wiring. It might also be a mechanical issue.

Fishtank
Guest Contributor
Did you solve it yet? Does actuator have wires/lugs or does it have wires with a plug/jack connector? How many wires are on the actuator itself? Just 2? When connected and not working, is it mechanically connected in place or it laying unmounted still?

Herrickjde
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the comments and not yet. Just a heads up that the actuator is not he $550 fsearay replacement actuator, but a less expensive one I bought on Amazon. 2 Wires no plug or jack connector. I have tested it connected and laying down. I also can connect it to a hot 12 volt source and it works. I am getting the + and - 12 volt read depending on switch position. It worked on the boat for a while and then stopped and I even replaced it and the same thing. I wonder if it is amperage.

here is the link to the actuator https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNV39YL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would buy the searay actuator, but that is over the top and I rigged up a manual deal to pop it open and close with tan pvc.

Fishtank
Guest Contributor
Can you move the mechanical rod/lever by hand that the actuator is supposed to move?

The actuator has a low duty cycle, so it needs 4X the amount of rest time compared to run time. I can't imagine it should run for more than 10-20 seconds when opening the hatch.

Can you measure voltage on THE actuator when trying to operate? If still at +12 or -12Vdc, sounds like a mechanical problem, very stiff, binding etc. Why did original fail? Check for mechanical.

Motor problems are considered initially an electrical problem (until proven otherwise). More often than not there is an underlying mechanical issue at the root.