cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercury engine, keeps shredding...

Guye926
Guest Contributor

Mercury engine, keeps shredding serpentine belts. 4 different mechanics have not solved it. Appears to start walking at the water pump but have already changed that out, plus added new idler pulley. Have also used straight edge to align. Just checking in case anyone else might have encountered the same mystery. VERY FRUSTRATING! Thanks in advance for any comments.

guye926

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
This page shows how to use a straight edge to verify alignment.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/serpbelt/

The tension must be correct. Mine is manually set and verified per the FSM.

The belt and pulleys must be correct (match) each other.

norm1
Guest Contributor
Hi Guye926, I own a 2003 Sundancer 320 and experienced the same problem for 4 years. Seems every year and a half I would have to replace a serpentine belt. I called Searay and found out there was a service bulletin issued (not recall for obvious reasons) on the pulley alignment for 6.2 Mercruisers. They sell a kit consisting of a bracket and very thick washer to fix. It was about $75 bucks an engine. A good mechanic can improvise a fix without the kit.

Guye926
Guest Contributor
Wow, going to look into this, mine isn’t every nice in a while, it’s much quicker. Going to look into getting this bulletin and bracket. If you have any info on getting to the bulletin let me know. THANKS!

norm1
Guest Contributor
This may help Guye, you didn't specify which mercruiser you have.

Guye926
Guest Contributor
6.2L
MX 6.2L MPI/MIE 320HP 377 CID

Serial #s start with OL though, not OM
- Guy