cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, my brother in law has a...

Shampoo
Guest Contributor

Hello, my brother in law has a 2004 390 Searay Sundancer. He is struggling to keep his water system from smelling rancid within two weeks of a Clorox flush. Is there an access port other that the fill port to thoroughly clean it out? Has anyone  solved an issue like this? Thanks for your help!

15 REPLIES 15

wingless
Rising Contributor
Each time I have cleaned my fresh water tank I always fill the tank completely, up to the overflow vent, so the upper part of the tank is exposed to the chemical. I have used (but am not recommending) bleach.

This has provided me long term protection.

Shampoo
Guest Contributor
What Chemical would you recommend?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Sorry for my bad grammar.

A chemical recommendation is not being provided by me.

My process is to use bleach diluted w/ water, filled to the overflow vent, all added through the deck fill plate, permit to sit for about a half hour, run dry, partially fill, run dry again, refill to the overflow, drain several gallons, then done, leaving it almost full.

Bleach is harmful to many plastic and rubber parts, hence not recommended to others by me.

My 20 year ownership has not revealed any issues related to this infrequent treatment, every other year depending on water usage and need for cleaning.

Shampoo
Guest Contributor
Wingless...thank-you for your help!

Chris-380
Guest Contributor
The first time I did what wingless suggested, it worked great, then I add 2 caps full of bleach every time I fill my tank. It’s nothing I have ever smelled but it keeps it from getting funky again

JJP
Guest Contributor
Clean the water pump filter

jgumpert27
Guest Contributor
Is he treating the water when he adds it? The potable water system in a boat is an ideal environment for bacteria to grow. Warm, dark, slow moving etc. make sure it’s being treated every time. A little bleach works for us- as above.

Timvail
Guest Contributor
As stated, the filter should be cleaned at the end and beginning of each season and partway over the season. In addition, follow the sea ray recommendations in your manual for the correct bleach/water mixture ratio for keeping your water tank fresh and clean.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
I have a 2004 500DA, once a year I put 1 cup of bleach in a cup of water, then fill the tank, let it sit for about 4 hours and then drain it. Refill the tank with water to eliminate the heavy bleach odor. As a maintenance practice in between my annual bleach treatment I let the water run down to 1/4. When I refill the tank I add 1/4 cup of bleach to the tank. Also, if you have a inline water filter, change the cartridge to a charcoal filter cartridge. My water coming out of the sink has zero smell (I don't drink it) I use it only for showers and general washing.

You may have a high Iron count in your water, this will give you a "rotten egg" smell. If you do have a high iron count, the bleach will oxidize the iron leaving you with a rusty slime on the bottom of your water tank and hot water heater. I'd get the water tested.
Good luck,
Bow Tie

CCH
Guest Contributor
If you have a hot water heater, and do not typically use it, you may want to drain it and close the valve to it. I treat my water, but if I leave anything in the heater for even just a few weeks it will stink. Just a result of the metals in there. I also tend to run the hot water side when in the slip on dock water to flush it more frequently

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
First completely drain the system including the water heater then pour a cup of bleach for every ten gallons of water you put in. Bigger boats have bigger systems so adjust accordingly. I like to do half tank then pressurize the system. Open your faucets one at a time and run until you smell the bleach. At this point let it sit for three or four hours. Now run the system until it starts spitting air. Repeat the half fill and run the system dry again, shut off the pump and manually drain the water heater. Refill the system and flush it again.
When you're finished with the boat for the day or week the last thing you do is turn off the water pressure pump and open the hot water faucet and bleed the pressure off. I do this so I'm constantly refilling the water heater because that's usually where the stink comes from.

Pigpen
Guest Contributor
I drain mine, pour in a gallon of the cheapest vodka. Add about 25 gal (100 gal tank) turn on the pump and starting the furthest from the tank open each outlet until the diluted vodka comes out. Do all the outlets and don’t forget the windshield washer if u have one. I find that technique works better than bleach and smells better 😁

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
i'm going to flush with vodka next time it actually sounds like a better solution than bleach!

Shampoo
Guest Contributor
Thank-you for the great ideas!

Dani-Lu
Guest Contributor
The beach should work. The issue may be that the hot water tank is full and the bleach isn’t making it into the tank. Need to turn on hot water at sink or shower and run it until you get a good strong smell of bleach. Then you can do the same for the cold water. Do both hot and cold at all sinks/showers, including transom.