cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1998 370 Sea Ray Sundancer...

Slacker4
Guest Contributor

I have a 1998 370 Sea Ray Sundancer with has a loose handrail on the top deck. To get to it I need to remove a headliner panel in the cabin in the center of the boat. Does anyone know how that is done?

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

On my 2000 380DA the padded fabric headliner fabric is attached to plywood. That plywood is screwed to fir strips attached to the bottom of the fiberglass ceiling.

The padded fabric is glued to the headliner plywood.

The plywood is screwed at select locations around the perimeter to the fir strips. The padded headliner fabric is NOT glued to the plywood at the locations where the screws are placed.

It is possible to feel the screw heads through the padded fabric by feel, by pushing into the fabric.

When a screw is located the headliner fabric is carefully pulled out of the seam to expose the screw head.

On my boat, in multiple instances, the factory placed several screws close to each other, about an inch apart. So if a screw is located, then don't assume the next screw is far away.

Note if going through that effort it would be a great idea to rebed everything that is exposed by removing the headliner.

Please report on results.

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Adding to what Winglass described. The adhesive that is used is 3M Super 77 glue. It can be had for about $15 a can at any hardware store. Just make sure to mask off any areas that you do not want the adhesive when reassembling.

PJS
Guest Contributor
Please provide an update on how the process worked for you and any challenges you came across. I have the same issue on my Sundancer. I decided to just "seal" the one loose handrail end to avoid dealing with removing the headliner(s). There seems to be little info available regarding the interior fastening systems used so a big thank you to Wingless who has been a vast resource for many . Good luck Slacker4

Slacker4
Guest Contributor
I will be working on this issue next week. When I get it figured out I will let you know.