cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to add 25 30 gallons per...

Burntundra
Guest Contributor

I want to add 25 30 gallons per side to my 380DA. take out the old tank and put a new slightly larger capacity tank in. Does anyone have a good source for Sear Ray oversize fuel tanks? Ideally with a quick turn around (chuckle).

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
This only needs to be posted once.

Have the existing fuel tank(s) failed?

Not having effected that project, it looks like these steps are required. Remove deck support rails, remove both engines / transmissions, remove generator, remove all batteries w/ trays. remove holding tank.

After those "easy" steps are effected then the fun starts.

Disconnect all the tank plumbing and wiring. Slide each tank to the rear then remove.

The hard step appears to be sliding the replacement tank into position. My speculation is creating holes in the salon for pulling cables may be required.

To the initial question, there is very limited space available for increasing the tanks volume. On the port the batteries block the length from growing. On the starboard the generator blocks the length.

Good luck.

Burntundra
Guest Contributor
No, my old tanks have not failed. With engines out, I thought it would be a nice upgrade. I really did not have my heart in it. The additional cost (over 3K per tank) was not warranted. But, there is room on both sides. Might need to relocate a battery tray.

Burntundra
Guest Contributor

Shark
Guest Contributor
It would be much easier to install a bladder tank between the engines and use that when you need to hold more fuel. A marine yard can install it and plumb it in to your gas valve's. This is done here in Florida for longer trips.

Burntundra
Guest Contributor
I don't think I want anything between the engines. Space is tight down there and both aft engine water seacocks would be even harder to reach.