cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just purchased a 2005 260 Sundance....

Happy__Ours__Te
Guest Contributor

Just purchased a 2005 260 Sundance. It was a fresh water boat previously so I'll need to have the bottom painted. Anyone know of a good place that is certified to perform this job and how much it costs? It needs to be somewhere on Long Island, NY.. Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

LuckyDog1
Guest Contributor
Not sure of places in NY but I paid $900 last year to bottom paint my 270. It's a bit more the first time and thereafter it's just a recoat as needed.

Happy__Ours__Te
Guest Contributor
Thanks LuckyDog! I figured it'll be some coins. LOL

wingless
Rising Contributor
Now is the time to start w/ a properly-applied thick barrier coat, followed by an appropriate bottom paint.

Naut_Home
Guest Contributor
They won't be cheap but MarineMax in Lindenhurst can do the job for you.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
I never paid anyone to do my bottom paint. It's a crappy job but simple enough to not need paid or expert labor. Also, I wonder why a fresh water boat wasn't bottom painted? Was it kept on a lift? Regardless, here are my suggestions:
I agree with wingless... have a barrier coat applied first. It could save you a great deal of expense down the road. Then, have 3 coats of an ablative bottom paint applied with the first coat being a different color from the final two. Ablative paints are designed to wear away as you travel through the water thereby avoiding the need to scrape or sandblast the buildup you get with "hard" paints. By using a different color for the first coat of ablative you'll know when it's time to reapply another coat or two of fresh ablative.

BarcaBlu
Guest Contributor
Here in MA I paid something like $300 for my marina to do it on my 2004 260. It will probably be more if it's the boat's first paint job since you'll need a barrier coat. I would definitely have a shop do it if you don't know exactly where the water line is. Any shop can do it, but try to find a shop that does all kinds of work because you'll need a shop where you can build a good trusting relationship anyway.

After my shop painted it I now paint it myself since I have a good baseline. I use an ablative paint that easily comes off when it gets pressure washed in the fall so I don't get any build-up, then I reapply in the spring. If the day comes where I get a ton of build-up, I'll have my shop scape it down and repaint, then I'll do it myself again...

Scott18
Guest Contributor
As said most shops should be able to do the job BUT its important you ask them how they apply the barrier coat. If they say they don't, or do it in one step RUN to another shop.

The barrier coat will be multiple coats of any of the paint brands or just epoxy. Then a good shop will apply three coats of paint, the first one being a different color from the desired final color. That way when the final color wears thin you will see the base coat color shine through.

I would expect to see 2 full days of labor MINIMUM on a boat your size. Could easily be 3-4 days work if done right.

Happy__Ours__Te
Guest Contributor
Thank you all for the informative information! Appreciate it.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
2005 does not need a barrier coat.

Happy__Ours__Te
Guest Contributor
Brite Idea - Why wouldn't a 2005 need a barrier coat?

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Happy "Ours", just jumping in here but maybe SR applied a barrier coat at the factory on your model and model year. You can probably verify that with SR.

Happy__Ours__Te
Guest Contributor
I called Sea Ray and asked the question. The person I spoke too never heard such I thing.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
So they are full of crap? My friend has a 2003 AJ and when he bought it new he was told that they no longer barrier coat because of the new resin. If I were you I'd do whatever helps you sleep better. If you have a boatyard or Searay dealer nearby they can quote you a price.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Well, there you go. Seems pretty definitive to me. I've had 3 different boats that stayed in the water all season and I barrier coated all of them.

Tom_M_424
Guest Contributor
It is true the new resins are more resistant to blistering but, if you are keeping it in the water it good Insurance to do a barrier coat. You invest a lot of money in a boat so there is no harm in taking some extra measures to protect your investment. You don't need to run synthetic oil eather but, I do for the extra protection. Just my opinion ...