cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rod’s Julzz here. I have a 1997...

Rod_s_Julzz
Guest Contributor

Rod’s Julzz here. I have a 1997 Sundance 40’ DA. Has anyone had experience replacing the track and small rollers on main sliding hatch to cabin?  Looking for best way to remove. Then I can figure out how to reinstall. I purchased the rails and one roller from Boat Outfitters. Thanks for any help!

Rod

15 REPLIES 15

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Pictures would help. I have a 370 express that I need to do the same with. On mine I will have to cut a caulk line that runs all the way around the dash panel that creates the pocket for the door as well as find a dozen or more hidden screws.

Royalboater
Guest Contributor
Rod, let me know how you make out. Same issue on 1999 330EC.

Etz
Guest Contributor
Same problem with my 2000 380. Marina can’t figure it out either.

OBee
Guest Contributor
There's a thread on this in the ClubSeaRay.com site under the group owning 450 Express Bridge boats. Viewing might get there in the search tool by trying sliding salon doors or similar.

Etz
Guest Contributor
Just checked it out. Questions, but no solutions.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Assuming the OP's '97 400DA is similar to my 380000DA the disassembly / reassembly is "easy", requiring only patience and a Phillips screwdriver.

Remember, most important, the curved door panels are NLA, so use extreme care when they are removed to avoid damage.

Note that the trucks are available in three sizes. ONLY use the same size (height) as was originally installed. My boat uses two sizes of trucks.

FWIW, I have found over the decades of ownership that flushing w/ a garden hose is the best way for crud removal from the lower rail and lower trucks.

Above the upper rail on my 380DA there is a fabric covered panel, retained by Christmas tree fasteners, remove that panel.

Now the upper and the lower hardware is exposed.

The latch door is easy to remove. Unscrew from the lower channel, leaving the channel and the trucks in place and unscrew from the upper trucks. Now the latch panel may be removed.

Not 100% recalling the sequence, but some of the fasteners on the inner door cannot be reached until one of the rails is removed. It may also be that the blocks that actuate the other door also require removal.

When I remove / replace the rails I squirt silicone sealant into the holes prior to replacing the screws.

It has been years since I serviced mine, so I am unable to provide wingless-level detail.

Etz
Guest Contributor
Misunderstood problem. My issue is with the forward main berth sliding door. The nut came off the slide and no one can figure out a fix.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Pocket door? Those suck lemons through a garden hose to fix.

Please post images of the top overall assembly and of the pocket overall assembly.

Etz
Guest Contributor

Etz
Guest Contributor
Here you go

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the images, they are very helpful.

There is a wall seam near the CO detector in the Master Stateroom, concealed by an adhesive trim.

It may be that the oval head trim retention screws might be really long at the top, retaining the upper wall (probably not).

It might be that the curved trim is concealing substantial screws that retain the top wall(s), my best current guess.

It may be that the wall panel is retained at the top and possibly at the sides, permitting it to be removed as an intact assembly, probably from the Master Stateroom side.

It might be that the only track screws are those visible when the door is open (if so, that is a poor construction and probably not the method that retains the track.

My suggestion is to remove the curved trim, starting on the Master Stateroom side.

Please report if a similar upper wall seam trim also exists on the Salon side of the wall.

The Sea Ray factory assembly required them to access the door trucks, prior to them making them currently inaccessible. The trick is discovering that assembly sequence.

Etz
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Any update / progress? Anything to report?

Etz
Guest Contributor
Just got back from being overseas for the past week and trying to build up my fortitude to tackle that job. I’ll keep you informed on my progress or lack there of. Thanks for reaching out.

Rod_s_Julzz
Guest Contributor
Have been working with the Marine Max dealer on Lake of Ozarks for parts and parts Breakdown but not getting anywhere unless we’ll call you right back an answer. This is a project that I will tackle this fall due to the heat. When I take it apart I’ll keep everyone posted.