cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transom Assembly issues, does this...

NautiGirls
Guest Contributor

Transom Assembly issues, does this sound plausible?  I’m trying to address repeated problems with sluggish engine starting on our 2007 270 SLX with the big block HO engine.  We’ve replaced the batteries, eliminated non-essential direct battery connections, replace the starter solenoid.  Now the mechanics are saying the transom assembly needs to be replaced as it’s allowing small amounts of seawater into the bilge and causing corrosion issues.

We have always had to pump a few gallons of water from the bilge each time we use her, but I’ve been putting that down to drainage of rinse water before she goes up in the Hi-n-Dry storage.  But it didn’t seem excessive; now we do pump more out each trip so what the mechanic is saying makes some sense.  Previously I’ve kept boats in the water year-round and never had transom assembly issues.

Does anyone here have experience with problems caused by a 12yo transom assembly?  I assume it’s original, but we’re 2nd owners.  I’m fairly mechanically inclined but this doesn’t seem to be a backyard mechanic’s project.  Grateful for any useful thoughts and suggestions to minimize the 5k repair bill!

5 REPLIES 5

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
I am speculating that you have an inboard outboard setup here. I would recommend finding the ingress point of the water to determine if it is normal. (Some water is normal) If the transom was an issue a moisture meter would give you an indication of it being waterlogged.

I see where you mentioned that the starter solenoid was replaced, but didn't see mention of the starter itself being replace.

Gill1
Guest Contributor
2007? Has someone changed the starter and installed a non high torque
starter?

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Leakage around the transom is possible but there are many ways water can leak in "through" the transom. There is the raw water intake and coupler, trim sender wires, mercathode wires, all the bellows just to name a few. Depending on your maintenance schedule, if you haven't had the drive pulled and the transom inspected, you should. There is a complete bellows kit that should replaced every 3-4 yrs. As a side note, I've had water in my engine compartment since I got the boat and finally I got in and shut the hatch and had someone flood the upper deck. I had multiple leaks allowing fresh water to drain into the engine compartment.

AtlantaSam
Guest Contributor
Also check around the thru hull exhaust fittings. We had a leak thee on our 250SLX.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
Bellow kit very common problem